Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2012 23:00

Bios versions for XPS 14z (l114z)

Hello,

My laptop is a XPS 14z base model. It says the BIOS version it is running is A03, but the dell drivers download site lists "A02" as the latest BIOS...Anybody have a clue what is going on with that? Do I have the wrong BIOS? I assume I don't since the computer boots...

Thanks

June 2nd, 2012 01:00

There are 3 BIOS as far as I know.  A00, A02, and A03.  I have never seen A01. Anyway, A03 is indeed the latest BIOS.  However, Dell's website only have A02.  I had to get help from a Dell tech to find where A03 was to download to try to fix some of the problem on my xps 14z.  I don't know if it is still in beta or if they are too lazy to update the website.  Some people have complained that A03 caused an increased in CPU temperature and louder and faster fan speed.  Going back to A02 resolves this.  I have personally tested A03 and can attest that this is true.  I am currently running on A02 with a 5 degree C lower on idle.  If A03 works for you, then keep it.  If not, then you can always download A02.

June 2nd, 2012 09:00

Hi hallja

Welcome to Dell Community.

If you are using the Windows 7 64 Bit operating system on the computer, you can try and use the following link to update the BIOS on your computer to A05 version

http://dell.to/JFr8fG

Please ensure that we have to both the AC Adapter and the battery are connected.

Regards

Amrinder D

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

June 2nd, 2012 10:00

The link only direct me to Dell's website where BIOS A02 is.  I can't find BIOS A05.

June 2nd, 2012 10:00

Hi peace4myheart

Welcome to Dell Community.

Apparently you might have to select Windows 7 64 Bit as the Operating system instead of just selecting BIOS under the Operating System drop down.

Hope that helps your question.

Regards

Amrinder D

June 2nd, 2012 11:00

Hi,

You are always welcome. Please share your feedback once you have updated the BIOS on your system.

It would help hallja as well.

Regards

Amrinder D

June 2nd, 2012 11:00

Found it now. Thanks Amrinder D.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2012 23:00

Pls, i need advice on whether I should update my BIOS from A02 TO A05. I need feedbacks from those already with the updated A05 BIOS. Has it given any problems so far. A reply is appreciated, thanks. :)

August 10th, 2012 01:00

I am sorry to say but I don't have much feedbacks for you on A05.  You can always try it out and if it doesn't work out for you, then you can always change it back to A02 or any other earlier version.  It is just that simple.  I am currently using A00 because it is the only way I can get the laptop to run in SATA III 6GB/s connection for my SSD.  I can tell you a little about A00 if you are trying to do the same thing with your laptop.  Just a warning, not every laptop will get SATA III connection using BIOS A00.  Why, I don't really know.  I think Dell doesn't want customer to have SATA III connection.

As for BIOS A00, there is no overheating issue like BIOS A03.  CPU at idle temperature is between 38-43 degree C, a little warmer than A02.  The fan does run a little more often than with BIOS A02.  The back-lit keyboard always comes on every time you turn the laptop on, unlike in BIOS A02, which remembers your last setting.  If you turn the back lit keyboard off before powering down your laptop, then the next time you turn the laptop on, the back-lit keyboard will also be off.  I find BIOS A02 to be the better than A03 and A00.  However, because I want the max speed for my SSD, I am resorting to using BIOS A00.  Please let me and other know how it goes with BIOS A05 with your laptop on this message board.  Good luck.

2 Posts

August 10th, 2012 05:00

oh thank you. I think i might stick with A02 to avoid problems as I haven't experienced any yet. :)

January 1st, 2013 00:00

I don't understand how you cannot install Win 7 64-bit???  Your SSD is like any harddrive.  Maybe you need to do a clean install.   As for SATA III, I heard random people get it with BIOS A00.  Fortunately, I am one of those lucky one.  No one knows for sure why that is.  It has nothing to do with the brand of SSD, and more to do with the BIOS (they purposely locked it at SATA II connection) and possibly the Intel chip (problem, bad chipset???).  Anyway, the XPS 14Z is an old model so I don't think Dell is wasting its resources on it.  Besides, it came out for a very short period and didn't sell very well.  Honestly, at this point, we should just give up and stop hoping that Dell will do anything.  I think they have moved on a long time ago.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. =/

2 Posts

January 1st, 2013 00:00

I upgrade the lasted bios A006 but why It didn't support sata3. I try to downgrade to A00 but I can't install win 7 64bit. It alway dump when I install. My ssd 's plextor m5s. Hope that in the future, we will have a new bios support sata 3

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

I try many way to install win 7 64bit with bios A00 but not success. No problem with the bios A02,A05 and A06. Now I am using bios A06, but if i downgrade to A00, It will make the window crash.

2 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

I have bios A05 and my fan runs constantly and loudly as soon as I start up my computer. If I close all of the windows, the fan shuts off, but what good is a computer that you can't use. Because the fan runs all of the time, the battery life is terrible. I didn't notice this when I first got my computer, so maybe it updated to A05 automatically? or could there be another problem...

February 28th, 2013 12:00

Please try a lower BIOS.  I really recommend BIOS A02 as that was the one where the fan runs the least amount.  Too much heat will shorten your battery life.  If the fan is running, then it is because the CPU is creating a lot of heat and/or it is not being cooled properly.   This model, along with a lot of Dell laptop in general, has overheating issue.  Monitor your CPU temperature to see if it is a problem as the underlying issue might not be the BIOS.  Check to see if the vent is being blocked by dust or not.  I had to get my laptop repair due to overheating issue when I first had it.  If you still have some warranty left, then call Dell and they will come and take a look at your laptop after doing a remote diagnosis.  Luckily I bought the 2 years extended warranty so I still have 10 months left.  So far, my laptop is running smoothly.  Good luck.

January 1st, 2015 10:00

Guys,

I have Bios A06 on my Dell XPS 14z. I updated my laptop with Samsung SSD 850 EVO yesterday. I don't what made the problem, the fan is not running currently. Previously even with temperatures from 45 degrees, it made some noise running. But now after replacing HDD with SSD, it is not running even at 80 degree centigrade. But at one point of time, the fan ran at 500, 700 and a maximum of 2100 RPM and when i restarted my laptop, again the same, the fan is not running.  I am using SpeedFan to monitor my fan rotation and the cpu temperature. Is there any tool to make the fan rotate for test purposes.

No Events found!