Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2009 04:00

Blank screen on Inspiron 1150

When I turn on my laptop I get a power light and the fan starts to spin but not getting anything on the screen.  However, a few times now I have been able to get it started by pushing down on the top of the computer or pushing in the AC plug while starting.   Had a power adapter problem before (wire was torn and taped up) so purchased new AC adapter, which didn't help.  Then thought the problem must be the DC jack so had a new one professionally soldered in.  Again, still having same problem. A few other t things I've tried:

-plugging into an external monitor - nothing shows up.

-swapping out RAM chips one at a time.  Also removed both ram chips and HD but still had same problem.

I suspect the problem could be the motherboard but wondering why I can sometimes get it to go on but applying pressure in various places.  Is this perhaps something I can pinpoint and fix?  Or, could it possibly be something other than motherboard at this point?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 24th, 2009 05:00

It definitely sounds like bad cold solder joints somewhere on the sysetm board - unfortunately that means you'll need a replacement board.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2009 05:00

Thanks.  Was surprised that I was just able to briefly get it running again by simply taking the battery out.  With it up and running I figured I would try  the Dell Diagnostics check.  Unfortunately it froze during the keyboard check so had to power off and it's now back to the blank screen again (with or without the battery).

I guess this laptop is a goner.  A few years old and not worth the price of a new board.

No Events found!