Highlighted
melissa6631
Copper

Blinking battery light? Even when plugged in

I have an Inspiron 9300 that we got last march (2005)
2 days ago the battery light began blinking orange all the time. It blinks even when it's plugged in to charge.  Does anyone know what this means?

If I take the battery out and push the buttons to check how long it's been charged? only 3 lights light up. (Every other light)

Thanks!
0 Kudos
19 Replies
LynnC17
Copper

Re: Blinking battery light? Even when plugged in

I am experiencing the same problem with my Latitude D510. The laptop is now dead, the battery is drained and I cannot get it to start even when plugged in. The power cord indicator is showing that it is functioning. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
melissa6631
Copper

I have ordered a new battery anda  new charger just to be sure. I'm just waiting for them to get here.

For $1700? I expected a lot more from this as far as battery is concerned. The battery life on this laptop is horrible!

0 Kudos
LynnC17
Copper

There was a battery recall, did you have a look at that? I did, and while my battery was among the numbers on the list, when I tested the serial number on the website it came out ok. My laptop is less than a year old so I have contacted Dell Support. Doesn't help me get into the info I need on it for today.

0 Kudos
gd123
Copper

I have the same problem with my 9300 that I bought in April 2005. The whole day today the battery light was blinking orange and laptop shut off when I unplugged the adapter. It says battery is 99% (charging). Please let me know how your new battery turned out.
0 Kudos
gd123
Copper

I checked the recall, mine was not part of it.
0 Kudos
7of7
Copper

This just started happening to my 9300 also. I'm not sure whether the battery is overheated or what but the symptoms are identical. The light began flashing orange and the system will no longer run on battery when the AC adapter is unplugged. The battery self test shows the end and middle lights flashing green. I bought my laptop in March of 2005 as well.
0 Kudos
LynnC17
Copper

I ended up contacting Dell and they replaced the motherboard, under warranty of course. They sent out a tech with the part and fixed it. But I am in contact with them again with a different issue.This time it's the hard drive they are replacing and I will be losing all my information PLUS I have to install it with on the phone help. Did I buy a lemon?

Message Edited by LynnC17 on 07-19-200606:51 AM

0 Kudos
melissa6631
Copper

OH my problems have only gotten worse.

I did get a new battery. That fixed the initial problem with the blinking light. However... my ac won't charge it. I have to sit and screw aroudn with the plug in order to make the connection.

I am so disappointed in this Dell. it was my first dell and bought purposely becuase i had heard they were good computers. In my opinion? It has been a total waste of money. If I can't spend $1600 on something and have it last longer than a year with out (what I consider HUGE ) things going wrong with it? I will never buy again from this company.

My next laptop will be Sony or possibly even an Apple.

Dell should be ashamed of themselves.
0 Kudos
LynnC17
Copper

This is my 6th Dell computer but my first laptop. I really like Dell they stand behind their product and this is the only one I have had problems with. I'm just wondering if it is a batch problem or ....what?
0 Kudos