Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

November 27th, 2005 22:00

COOLING FANS NOT WORKING

I have an 8600 that i recently had to replace a hard drive on due to the fact that the old one burned up, i bought a new 40gb hard drive (just enough to get it to work) and am planning to buy and external one. anyway, after installing all the back up disks back on to the computer i have noticed that the cooling fan doesnt seem to be working, so i opened up my lap top and noticed that neither of the cooling fans are running, the smaller one that is more towards the center turns for a brief moment at start up, but then stops, is that normal or should it constantly be moving, or is it shot and needs replaced?  the lager one nearest the hard drive doesnt move at all, is this do to a re-installation error or is the fan shot as well, and needs to be replaced? or is there a control setting somewere on the computer that just needs to be turned up. i read on one post about a program that can be installed to monitor the temp of the computer, is that something i should download as well?  thank you for any assitance.

kyle

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 27th, 2005 22:00

The fans will only run once a temperature setpoint has been reached. You should run the Dell diagnostics, which will verify the operation of the fans.

November 27th, 2005 23:00

I READ ON ANOTHER FORUM ABOUT A 8000 I BELIEVE BUT IT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MANUALLY TURNING THEM ON, IS THAT POSSIBLE WITH THE 8600, IF SO HOW?

November 27th, 2005 23:00

SORRY I AM NOT VERY COMPUTER FRIENDLY, HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT IS IT ON A DISK OR IS IT INSTALLED ON THE NOTEBOOK?

7.9K Posts

November 28th, 2005 00:00

to test the fans, press F12 at the Dell screen when you first turn the computer on and select diagnostics.  find the fan and temperature probe tests

November 28th, 2005 04:00

On mine the fans always come on a for a second when you first power up.  Or you can go into the F12 BIOS Setup.  We had to have a motherboard replaced on one of ours because the fans wouldn't work.

December 1st, 2005 03:00

I  hit the F12 button on the start up, and then chose diagnostics, and the computer went through a bunch of tests and everything that it checked passed, but i didnt see any place that i could specifically choose the fans and temp. probe

7.9K Posts

December 1st, 2005 03:00

they should show up if you click custom tests or symptom tree (the language varies somewhat by program version)
No Events found!