Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

BP

January 15th, 2008 23:00

Can any help me with the mice pin for my Inspiron E1405

HI, My microphone pin is not working properly Inspiron E1405. I have called Dell Technical support, the problem is not rectified, So,Plz help me with it My processor is Intel,

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 16th, 2008 02:00

Please excuse a few questions. What is a microphone pin? What symptoms does your computer have? What is your operating system?

Jim

January 16th, 2008 02:00

Hello Jimco, My operating system id Windows Media Center, The MIcrophone pin is what i What to express is that the Voice recording is not working using a External Mice

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 16th, 2008 10:00

Thank you. When you plug in the external microphone do you see on the screen a popup box asking whether you plugged in a mic or line-in device? If not, go to Start/Control Panel/Sigmatel and check the 'allow popups' box. Then plug in the mic again and test it.

Test it with a recording program such as Windows Sound Recorder. If the mic can record then it is working. Don't expect to hear the mic as you speak into it because monitoring (being able to hear the mic directly) is turned off in the Registry.

If the mic still does not work, try running the external mic test in the audio section of Dell Diagnostics. To run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts.

When Dell Diagnostics opens, select 'custom', then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if they are working correctly or not.

Dell Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it, etc. Eventually the external mic test should come up. If the test passes that means the computer's hardware is okay but there is a problem with the software or configuration. If it fails that means there is a hardware problem such as:

mic doesn't work
mic works but the plug is incompatible with the jack
the jack is malfunctioning
the audio chip is malfunctioning
etc.

Jim
No Events found!