Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2012 00:00

Can't find XPS M1530 Audio Drivers

I recently installed Windows 7 and I'm trying to set up the audio drivers. Unfortunately the driver download page doesn't contain any audio drivers for the M1530 (whether or not I enter my service tag). I've also had a look at the Audio Driver FAQ, but there is no mention there. 

I originally bought this system with Ubuntu on it, so I don't even have old drivers to try out. The Win7 default HD Audio driver works for simple stereo, but not surround. The sound card is capable of outputting 5.1 surround through the three front ports (front, rear, and center/sub OR mic in). With the Win7 driver I get sound out of either of the first two, but not both (it sees them as two separate sound devices), so I'm limited to stereo. There is also no option to switch the mic in port to an output port. I've got some nice 5.1 speakers being underutilized, and I want to get all of the channels!

Any idea what driver I need to install for this system?

Thanks!

June 27th, 2012 00:00

Ok, so I tried out the IDT R226903 Win 7 audio driver that was linked from the Audio Driver FAQ for the M1330, and lo, it works like a charm. Thanks to whomever posted that. Should update the FAQ to indicate that it works with M1530 as well!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 27th, 2012 06:00

Hello. Thanks for reading the FAQ and commenting on it. I will edit it to include your finding that the IDT audio driver R226903 also works for the XPS M1530. I appreciate your sharing the tip.

I recently installed Windows 7 and I'm trying to set up the audio drivers. Unfortunately the driver download page doesn't contain any audio drivers for the M1530

That is because your model has Sigmatel audio hardware. The company went out of business before 7 so there are no Sigmatel 7 drivers available for any model.

I've also had a look at the Audio Driver FAQ, but there is no mention there. 

You don't need to know this now, but the FAQ covers this in Section 8:

8. You Installed Windows 7 But Can't Find a 7 Version of  Your HD Audio Driver"> 8. You Installed Windows 7 But Can't Find a 7 Version of  Your HD Audio Driver

It says "If you installed 7 on a laptop with HD audio (all of the models not more than 4 or 5 years old) and there is not an audio driver available for 7, you should use the Vista version and install by using Vista compatibility mode."

I need to change "not more than 4 or 5 years old"  to 5 or 6 years.

June 27th, 2012 14:00

Thanks Jim!

1 Message

September 20th, 2012 13:00

IDT R226903 Win 7 audio driver is no longer available. Now what?  

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 20th, 2012 14:00

No Events found!