Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2017 13:00

Can't install Wistron 3.0 on Dell Inspiron N5110

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop and for a few years I haven't been able to get my USB 3.0 ports to work. I believe I might have messed up the driver installations when I first got the laptop.

I got a new hard drive lately and decided to test my USB 3.0 ports before installing Windows 7 because I will really need them for work soon, so I tried them on Windows 8.1. They worked automatically without having to install any driver (I think 8.1 has its own 3.0 pilots?)

So I formatted my hard drive and installed my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits. I downloaded all the pilots from this page (www.dell.com/.../drivers) in another computer and placed them on a flash drive.

After installing Windows 7 and booting for the first time, I tried my best to follow the order explained here: www.dell.com/.../how-to-reinstall-drivers-in-the-correct-order

I started with Dell System Software Utility (DSS_UTIL_WIN_R282538)

Then Intel Management Engine Interface Driver (R292194)

Then Intel HM67 Express Chipset Family Driver (R292253)

Then Wistron USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (R309746)

And after each driver installation, I would reboot my laptop. But when installing the Wistron driver, the R309746 file extracted itself and then nothing happened. So I went to the C:\dell\drivers\R309746 folder and tried to launch "setup.exe" again from there, with admin rights, I received the window of "This program might now have installed correctly" and I had two options, "Reinstall using recommended settings" or "this program installed correctly".

When I pick "this program installed correctly", nothing happens and my USB 3.0 don't work. When I pick the other option, nothing happens too.

I tried this 3 times. Each time I format the hard drive again and I reinstall Windows and I reinstall the drivers, trying different orders sometimes, but to no avail. My usb 3.0 ports are still not working.

Can anyone please help me? Did I do something wrong? Did I mess up the order of the installation of the drivers? What should I do at this point? I'm really getting desperate since all these trials have already cost me almost 2 days.

Edit: Please note that in the extracted folder of the Wistron driver, there are 2 other folders "TI" and "NEC", both containing additional files and "setup.exe" executables. I'm guessing these are two different drivers and my computer only needs one of them? But which one?

3 Posts

April 10th, 2017 13:00

Bump!

I'd also like to add that even after formatting the hard drive again and re-installing Windows 8.1, the USB 3.0 ports didn't work like they did last time. I am 100% sure last time they worked on their own in 8.1 as soon as I was done with that "first time configuration" thing that you get when you finish installing 8.1

I have officially ran out of ideas.

No Events found!