Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2015 13:00

Charging XPS Ultrabook in desktop mode / Battery Life

Hi everybody,

I’m currently using my XPS Ultrabook as my main computer, that’s why I find myself charging it basically all the time. I charge it from 0% to 100% and the I disconnect de charger in order to improve battery life.

Lately, I found out that I could charge it in “Desktop mode” (I don’t know if this is the right name in English, I have my windows 8 in Spanish). Basically I was wondering if leaving the battery connected this way all the time, without unplugging it, was going to deteriorate my battery life.

Thanks

5.2K Posts

March 31st, 2015 15:00

Leave the battery in all the time and use power supply when you are at the desk. Discharging and recharging the battery will result in a short useful battery life. Batteries have a limit to how many charge  cycles they will tolerate. Also, deep discharges reduce battery life. You will not harm the battery keeping it installed. This is urban ledgend.

19 Posts

March 31st, 2015 16:00

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for answering!

Are you sure of this? I’ve known lots of people who screwed up their battery’s autonomy by doing this. Besides, why would they put a “Desktop Mode Charge” if that’s the case?

In the other hand, this is an Ultrabook, so I can’t remove my battery in order to leave my computer plugged without the battery.

5.2K Posts

March 31st, 2015 22:00

With desktop mode, the battery is charged and discharged on a set program that keeps the charge between 50 and 100%. This supposedly extends battery life. I don't know if this really does some good or not. It also periodically runs the battery to a low charge level, which can be useful in resetting the charging so as to give more accurate charge level info. I prefer to keep my laptops plugged in all the time. There are lots of people claiming many procedures to be the best. I have never seen a study that actually compares performance differences. I get good operational life from my laptops, even with $20 after market batteries. Just avoid dropping the charge level to a low value by removing the charger, unless you are going portable.

No Events found!