Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2012 10:00

Crashing of my Laptop Model INSPIRON 6000

Dear friends,

Today my above dell laptop crashed and does not operate at all beyond just starting.

The computer got jammed first and then crashed.Kindly advise how to deal with this problem and suggest the potential solution.

Thanks--Kamdell

41 Posts

September 28th, 2012 10:00

Hello,

Try to run the diagnostics on the computer to check if the hardware is working fine. To run the diagnostics turn off the computer then press FN key down and then turn on the computer it should initiate the diagnostics.

If diagnostics passes then could be with the Operating system might to repair it

September 28th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

I would like to know exactly where the system gets stuck, when you switch it on? Do you see the Dell logo, are you able to boot to windows or is it coming up with any error code?

Firstly, I would like you to unplug all the external devices from the system (USB drives,printers,etc). remove the AC adapter and the battery. Once this is removed, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds, put the battery and adapter back on and switch on the system. This releases the static charge from the system and resolves most issues.If it is still not working, we need to determine whether the issue is with a hardware component or the software.

This issue might occur because of a hard drive failure or an issue with the operating system. All Dell systems come with an inbuilt diagnostic test. I would advice you to first run the basic hardware diagnostics to determine any hardware failure. 

To run the hardware diagnostics please follow the steps below.

1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment .
3. A screen will appear with a message 'Were color bars displayed?(y/n).
4. Press 'Y' key if the color bars are displayed properly. 
5. If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.
6. Please share the error codes if any.
Once this test is complete, if you are not getting any error message, it indicates that the hardware is fine. Next I would advise you to start the system in safe mode. To start the system in safe mode follow the steps below.
1. Restart the system and tap on the F8 key on the dell logo.
2. On the next screen use the arrow keys on the keyboard to choose the option safe mode and press enter.
3. Check if the system boots up in the safe mode.

Check if it boots up in the safe mode.You can try to restore the system to a previous date when the system was working fine.
  1. To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to Windows as an administrator.
    2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.
    4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.
      Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
    5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
    6. Log on to the computer as an administrator. Then, click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.
    If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state and the computer runs as expected, you are finished.
    You can check the link below to do a system restore. http://bit.ly/QAws8q
Please reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2012 23:00

Dear Kingdom85,

Thanks for your immediate reply.

I did as per the direction given but the computer did not move beyond a blinking "A"and adjoining continuous light with arrow pointing downward arrow. I will be grateful if you could kindly advise further action to resolve this problem.

I await your reply ASAP. Thanking you & with Best Regards--------------Kamdell-KKSave

3 Posts

September 29th, 2012 23:00

Dear Abhishek,

Greetings!

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply. I am happy that I am in a safe hand with a person working with Dell itself.

For your information, I wish to reply as follows-

1. The computer does not go beyond just starting, sound of disc starting and all blank. Nothing on monitor. Power is shown ON.

2. I removed battery and unplug AC adapter and started computer- No change in the above situation in 1.

3. I pressed FN and then pressed power button, released them simultaneously.  This time light with Ä"blinks continuously and the light adjoining with downward arrow glows. There is no further movement any where and the screen remains black even after some time also.

I will be grateful if you could kindly advise further what is required to be done.

I am presently in Abu Dhabi and will be happy to show my computer to your authorised service center here or in Bangalore/Mumbai-India.

I await your reply ASAP.

Thanking you & with Best Regards---------------------Kamadell- KKSave

September 30th, 2012 05:00

Hi Kamadell,

Thanks for your reply.
From the information you shared, it seems to be a no post issue. This problem generally occurs due to a faulty motherboard or memory card; leading to a need for part replacement. I would recommend you to reseat the memory modules: if you have 2 memory modules try to switch on the system with only one at a time and see if it boots up. Also, check memory slots on the motherboard by inserting one memory card in 1st slot, if that doesn't work insert the memory card on the other slot and keep the first one empty.

You can follow the steps below to reseat the memory modules:

• Ensure that the work surface is flat and clean to prevent scratching the computer cover. 
  • Save any work in progress and exit all open programs.
  • Turn off the computer and all attached devices.
  • If the computer is connected to a docking device, undock it. 
  • Disconnect the computer from the electrical outlet. 
  • Disconnect all other external cables from the computer 
  • Close the display and turn the computer upside down on a flat work surface.
  • Remove the battery.

Turn the computer over, loosen the two captive screws from the memory module cover, and remove the cover. 

Once this is open you will be able to view the memory cards, there are 2 slots, you may have 1 or both cards.

1. memory card ; 2. securing clips(2 per connector).

To take out the memory card :
Handle memory modules by their edges, and do not touch the components on a module. Use your fingertips to carefully spread apart the securing clips on each end of the memory module connector until the module pops up. Remove the module from the connector at a 45-degree angle. 

To insert the memory card :
Align the notch in the module edge connector with the tab in the connector slot. Slide the module firmly into the slot at a 45-degree angle, and rotate the module down until it clicks into place. If you do not feel the click, remove the module and reinstall it. 

Note: If the memory module cover is difficult to close, remove the memory module and reinstall it. Forcing the cover to close may damage your computer.  

By doing this step we would be able to find out if any of the memory cards or the slots is not working.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a personal message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you accordingly.
Hope this helps.Do reply with result.

No Events found!