Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2015 19:00

Cursor will not move when in BIOS E6400

I had this problem which apparently I created for myself.  So here is the story and how I finally extricated myself from the problem.

How I created the problem:

My goal was to have the touchpad disabled when I was using a wireless mouse.  in an attempt to make that happen:

1. I went into the BIOS at power on time and selected POST Behavior, Mouse/Touchpad

2. Then using the Touchpad to move the cursor I selected "Serial Mouse"

3. Clicked on apply

That initially seemed to work.  However, the next time I went into the BIOS at power on time I found that the Cursor was stuck in the centre of the screen and would not move either by using the Touchpad or via the Mouse.  So then I was stuck with no way to change any of the BIOS options.

I talked several times with DELL Support but did not seem to be able to to get any agent, that I talked to, to actually understand the problem. They didn't seem to understand that the BIOS of the E6400 doesn't just use the arrow keys in order to make changes, it also requires using the cursor to select the desired option.  The arrow keys will move up and down through the Settings menu but do not have any control of the options.

Last night, while searching through forums, I came across a similar problem with another DELL system, can't remember which one.  However, the suggested solution was to reset the BIOS to factory settings. However, I could not do that by the, "LOAD DEFAULTS", button at the bottom of the screen since the Cursor was frozen in the centre of the screen. Another responder suggested a method which sounded a little far fetched but I decided to try it. 

The fix:

1. Remove all power including the battery

2. Remove the bottom cover

3. Disconnect the BIOS Coin Battery

4. Press the "Power On" button for approximately 10 seconds, "I held it for 20 seconds just to be sure"

5. Reattach the BIOS Coin Battery

6. Replace the cover

7. Replace the battery and/or the power adapter connection

8. Press "Power On"

9. Press F2 to enter BIOS in order to reset the "Date and Time".  This was the first test of, "did it work", because if it didn't I was, "Up the creek without a paddle".  WELL THANK YOU!!!, whoever you are, it worked and I'll never select that option again.

THE END

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 10:00

Hi Fredrw,

Thanks for posting your solution.  There may be others experiencing the same issue.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!