Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 27th, 2005 18:00

D600 cursor randomly jumping when typing

I saw a few threads below about this same topic, but didn't seem to see any replies that answered why this is happening??  I just got this laptop a little over a week ago, and noticed right from the start that this was a problem.  Has anyone encoutered any solutions to disabling anything (blue eraser mouse stick in the middle of the keyboard???) or how to fix this annoying problem??

Thanks....

4 Posts

January 27th, 2005 18:00

actually just read below the only two options are to replace the keyboard to cut the cable to the eraser stick mouse??? 

there's really no way to just disable the stick??

4.2K Posts

January 27th, 2005 22:00

Hi,

You can disable it, but it normally makes the touch-pad slow and unresponsive. Have you got a late Bios ? A new keyboard is the best fix.

Regards Chris

February 21st, 2005 16:00

We solved the problem with a work around that may help.  Our problem with the jumping cursor had nothing to do with a properly functioning keyboard or updated BIOS.  Instead it was due to tapping the left "mouse" button just below the Space Bar while typing.  This activates the "Click" command and the cursor "jumps" to wherever the mouse pointer happens to be.  For example, you might be typing an email in Outlook and start in the "To" box and use the Tab key to jump to the "From", "Subject", and the body of the message.  If you then accidently hit the left "mouse" button when you hit the Space Bar, the cursor will jump back to the "To" box.

We searched around and there does not seem to be a way to disable the buttons in Control Panel or the computer Setup.  We decided to change the Mouse properties in Windows 2000 - Control Panel and activated only the Touch Pad.  This may not be necessary to the solution but we do not use the Stick device.  The more important change is made to the Buttons tab where you define what happens when you hit the Left, Right, and Both buttons.  You need to define one of the buttons as the "Click" command.  We defined the Left button as None and the Right button as None.  We defined Both buttons as Click because it is unlikely that you will accidently hit both buttons at the same time.  Of course this means that you will not be able to use the buttons but you can still use the Touch Pad.

1 Message

February 24th, 2005 22:00

i had the same problem with this new Latitude D600.  annoying, especially if you happen to look down at the keyboard and then when you look up the letters you just typed are somewhere else.

i have no touchpad drivers installed so i could not disable the touchpad.  it's not the buttons either because i tested those and they are tight.  it's that my fingers brushed lightly on the touchpad while typing.

solution:  i taped my business card over the touchpad.  now it works great with no more cursor jumping.  give that a try.

5 Posts

March 9th, 2005 11:00

I have disabled the Touch pad and the laptop is closed since I have an external monitor, Keyboard and mouse (non Dell).

• I still have the same problem with the cursor jumping around on the screen.   Typically it goes to the lower left corner.

I was having problems with it randomly selecting blocks of text but that was cured by disabling the Tapping option under the Control Panel / Mouse settings.

Anyone have any solution ideas for the cursor jumping around?

5 Posts

March 9th, 2005 12:00

BTW,  I forgot to mention what has been done so far to try and correct the problem.

1. The System board was replaced.   Didn't fix it.
  2. The entire machine was replaced and all software was reinstalled on new computer.  Didn't Fix it.
  3. I had a Targus Optical mouse that worked fine on my old IBM T21 Laptop running the same OS & Software image.   Tried it and the problem still exists.
:smileysad:

1 Message

March 14th, 2005 13:00

This is caused by hand and fingers brushing against the touchpad -- the bane of Dell laptops. It is a Dell problem, but they refuse to own up to it and provide a fix. You can disable this via the control panel, mouse, etc. IF AND ONLY IF you do NOT have an external mouse attached. Once that external mouse is plugged in, Dell lets it take over, activates the touchpad at full sensitivity, and hides the controls for deactivating the touchpad. Several entries in the Community Forum complain about this, and none I have seen offers a solution. One very recent posting (from a user) suggests using a USB mouse rather than a PS2 mouse. I haven't tried that yet, but will do so, as I am getting desperate.

P.S.
I found out the USB mouse definitely solves the problem. Try it out!

Message Edited by scumbdyoit on 03-14-2005 10:43 AM

5 Posts

March 14th, 2005 18:00

I have always had an external USB Mouse and even with the laptop closed using an external keyboard,  mouse and monitor I was having the problem.   Over the wekend I downloaded the latest mouse drivers and that has appeared to have corrected the problem.  :smileyvery-happy:  The other thing I did was to disable the Stick and Touchpad Click functionality.   So it looks like the problem is caused by multiple items.

Thanks for your response.....

4 Posts

March 14th, 2005 22:00

why do i not have the option to disable the Alps Touch Pad in either the control panel or the device manager when there's not another mouse plugged in? are you guys disabling this device, or uninstalling it??

5 Posts

March 15th, 2005 08:00

Are you using a Serial Mouse or a USB Mouse?   I have a USB mouse attached andam able to disable the touch pad in the Control Panel.

4 Posts

March 15th, 2005 14:00

USB.....there were a few posts earlier though that said you can't have an external mouse attached to disable the touchpad....i've tried both ways (with and without external mouse attached) and do not have the disable option available???

1 Message

March 22nd, 2005 12:00

I installed the ALPS driver R86229, restarted and was then able to disable the touchpad whilst leaving the stick enabled.

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2005 14:00

I also have the Dell standard ALPS driver and can disable either the Pad or the Stick.  

5 Posts

April 8th, 2005 08:00

Hmm, I've just read this thread with interest.

I've just installed a brand new Latitude D600, with a new Dell keyboard and Dell USB optical mouse. 

Here's the rub: it's used in a docking station, lid closed and the touchpad therefore not exposed.  It's driving the user and me mad.

Five other Latitudes purchased at same time but not in docking stations are OK.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

April 8th, 2005 11:00

You might try removing the rubber sleeve on the mouse stick.  On an earlier Latitude model we were told that the sleeve can sometimes rub against the keys or screen when the lid is closed.  This seemed to help at times.
No Events found!