Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

May 18th, 2007 14:00

D620 Overheating

I have had my Latitude 620 and have put up with a lot of its shortcomings, but I have been having a major issue with heat. I have the laptop on my lap right now (plugged in) and the bottom is EXTREMELY hot. The bottom exhaust vent is not covered or obstructed in any way. If I were to close the lid and just let it sit on my desk for an hour or so, it will get so hot that when I open the lid, XP will be laggy to the point I have to shutdown and let it cool down. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

37 Posts

May 18th, 2007 18:00

There could be a couple of issues. Here's what I've seen over the years with laptops...

1. The cooling fan could be faulty.
  2. There could be a lot of dust buildup in the path where the heat dissipates.
  3. It could be a combination of both 1 & 2.

Usually when a client brings a laptop to me and they tell me that the system is hot, the first thing I do is disassemble the unit, blow it out with compressed air, check the fan and more commonly, clean the CPU and the heat-sink and then re-apply a new layer of heat-sink paste. Doing these things usually solves the problem.

Good Luck!

May 22nd, 2007 19:00

It's interesting because it feels like air is being blown out of the exhaust vent, and the fan really revs up sometimes. Could dirt still be the problem? It is less than a year old, I can't imagine that much dirt could have gotten in it.

37 Posts

May 22nd, 2007 20:00

Since you mentioned that the fan really revs up, I'd be more suspicious that possibly the fan is defective and needs to be replaced or the CPU needs to be removed and cleaned along with the heatsink and then re-apply some heatsink paste. My experience tells me that when a CPU fan (especially with a laptop) revs up and there appears to be air-flow that the fan could be defective or there is too much heat around the CPU.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2007 07:00

I've had a D620 for almost 9 months now and it's had overheating problems since the first day I got it. I seriously regret buying it. It already melted one motherboard and CPU, which gold tech support replaced for me. I will probably need at least one more replacement before my support contract is over.

This laptop was not engineered for heavy processing, their priorities seem to have been only on size and physical durability. I would have though they'd have engineered them to be more stable for heaving processing, but I guess they had Joe Shmoe traveler in mind. If you're going to do any heavy processing(software compiling, folding@home, etc) or any 3D games, avoid the D series at all cost. If I had known about this, I would have definitely purchased an XPS instead. Too bad I had to learn the hard way.

1 Message

September 25th, 2007 16:00

see when i conect wierles internet.  open internet expoler  system will be restart and over heating   i change the motherboard and prossecor wierles card battery also same problem plz help me iam working in dell key information tech plz help me

Note when i put acaddapetr system is ok but heating plz help me

tahnks

regard sajjad

3 Posts

September 25th, 2007 17:00

That's an awful lot of typos Sajjad.

What I do when I really need to do something important: I take the bezel off(power and sound buttons); dock the laptop in a docking station with the screen open; flip the keyboard over; then I put a large heat sink (I user a socket A heat sink with a copper base) on the copper heat pipe.

That seems to do the trick. It doesn't over heat like that much, and if it does, it does over heat a little(80C), it stays usable.

Good Luck.
No Events found!