Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

7 Posts

October 7th, 2003 07:00

D800 and ext. USB Harddisk

I have 3 ext. HDD with USB 2.0. If I plugin the HDD and start my D800 the bios hangs every time at 3/4 of BIOS scan. Without Harddisk and with an USB Memory Stick it works great. I could also boot from USB Stick, but I need also booting from my USB HDDs, so that I could install another OS on it. Have you an idea how it could fix?
I use the newest BIOS from today (A05) but the failure was also in the previous version (A04).

Message Edited by Habib_2 on 10-07-2003 11:48 AM

3 Posts

October 14th, 2003 03:00

Hi Mr. Habib

To fix the hangs problem.

Some of USB HDDs cominig with PS/2 adapter ,If yours like this just connect the adapter From US HDD to PS/2 ..... I hope it working okay

but there is proble with D800 this model with out PS/2 !

To fix this you have to got serial to PS/2 adapter

- The USB cable as Data cable

- The PS/2 cable as power cable

Please let me know

Ali

7 Posts

October 14th, 2003 04:00

Hi hazzaq0a,

I´ve now verified my Problem. You are right with the second connector, but it´s not the problem. My specify HDDs have 2 USB connectors to manage the correct power. But it seems that the problem caused by the cheap chipset of the ext. USB Cases. They have also only a transfer rate of ~11MB/s at USB2. It´s doesn´t matter which harddrive is build in. Another friend has an USB Case which is booting with my d800. grmpf, now I´m looking for new ones, without these problems.

Thx´s

Message Edited by Habib_2 on 10-14-2003 08:01 AM

8 Posts

October 17th, 2003 16:00

I am having same identical issue with my D600.  Have you found a decent USB 2.0 case that will work?

If so, what make/model?

Thanks,

Mike

7 Posts

October 17th, 2003 17:00

hm, it´s a little bit difficult, because the most cases are noname prdducts and the chipsets haven´t a known manufactorer.
I could show you only the cases on pics and I have seen, that the most models are looking directly... (sorry for my english again)

These type of case is mine, which has the boot problem:

It´s Chipset is on a small border at the front where is also the internal IDE and the external USB connector. The connector is not USB conform and at the end it´s have 2 USB connectors for pluging in the PC/Notebook.

And this Type of case are working well:

They have an small USB conform connection, and a second one with USB/PS2 connector for extra power. Internal they have an big board, where you must put in the harddrive.

Other Type maybe also works without problems, but I didn´t know it excactly.

7 Posts

October 24th, 2003 21:00

i think that the problem must be with the Dell USB ports. I have the same problem.

m

24 Posts

October 26th, 2003 07:00

Hey

I've recently owned an Inspiron 8500 and 2 external 2.5" usb2 harddrives.

They both had the same chipset "GL811USB 0239MF4FW02-17"

I could easily boot on my USB stick.

The problem still exists with my Latitude D600.

elvisdk

3 Posts

January 21st, 2004 21:00

why cant dell just fix the dang problem? Instead of selling a defective product.

60 Posts

January 30th, 2004 12:00

Hi,

I've been looking into this problem for a while and have posted a few times in the external peripherals forum.  A quick summary for information is that the Latitude Dx00s do not put out 500mA over their usb2 ports, only 100mA, which is not enough to power an external HD in mnost cases. 

It it quite likely that external cases with double usb connectors will not work either.  This is not a defect, it is a "feature".  Less power out of the usb ports, less drain on the battery.  The official usb2 specification allows this lower current output for portable devices.

However, there have been some reports of individual D800s and D600s working fine with external HDs.

It has also occured to me that if the D/port connector on the D800 can supply the power necessary to run and external HD or DVD-RW in the D/bay, why can one or all of the ports not supply this power?

I doubt we well see any resolution to this, as it is not a "problem" as far as Dell are concerned - if we want to use external devices, we should buy a D/bay...

Richard

No Events found!