Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

2 Posts

February 9th, 2006 20:00

D810 web page display problems

I have a Latitude D810 with Radeon x600 and WSXGA LCD at 1680x1050.
Overall the display is beautiful with very crisp text and graphics on the Windows desktop and in Office and other applications.

However I have experienced several strange problems displaying web pages:
1. Graphics display distorted and pixelated with jagged edges.
2. Background graphics on some web pages fail to display. For example a white background is displayed instead of a tiled graphic background.
3. Text and buttons in Internet Explorer are displayed much larger than normal. Must select smallest text size in Internet Explorer to obtain a layout that looks even close to normal. Even then some webpage text and buttons (eg Google Search buttons) are still larger than normal.

I have tried the following:
Changed registry key useHR=1 to useHR=0. This fixed the fixed the first problem (jagged graphics) but the other problems remain.
Switched dpi settings from large 120dpi (as shipped) to normal 96dpi. Also tried custom sizes 110dpi and 150dpi. This changed size of desktop icons and text but Internet Explorer web display problems remain.
Updated video drivers with R104771.EXE.
Updated video BIOS with R101342.EXE.
Updated system BIOS with D810_A04.exe.
Reset Internet Explorer settings to default, cleared cache, cookies, etc.
Disabled Internet Explorer plug-ins and activex controls.
Ran full scan in Norton AV and Ad-Aware SE.
Re-installed Service Pack 2.

Again, the display problems seem limited to web browsing. The desktop and other applications appear normal. I also tried Firefox 1.5 and it displays text somewhat better but it too has the problem with background graphics.

I heard of the Dell Internet Explorer Scaling Utility but not tried it yet. Does it do anything other than change the useHR value?

Dell Gold was unable to provide an answer but suggested Dell On-Call support which I believe is $100/incident.

Any other ideas before I throw the D810 out the window?

2 Posts

February 17th, 2006 02:00

I wish I an answer for you being that I am experiencing the problem and your posting was as close as I've come for solving my problem. I have a Inspiron 2200 (only for 2 months) and I'm exhausted trying to find help. I know it's a simple fix, but just can't figure it out. I've visited countless sites downloaded video drivers, troubleshooting to the max and nothing is helping. I can't afford the $99.00 Dell help. Please if anyone out there can help. I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

1.5K Posts

February 17th, 2006 03:00

You seem to have covered all the usual bases,

Click {here} for: Dell Internet Explorer Scaling Utility

Release Date: 04/20/2005
Description: This utility allows user to select Large or Normal sizes for Fonts and Icons in Internet Explorer.
This is applicable when the DPI is greater than 96 and IE version is 6.0 or more. ..."

I am pleased with my WUXGA and Firefox, never needed to try the above utility but others with your problem have
reported in here that it helps.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2006 15:00

Thank you Art for your reply. Last night I tried the IE scaling utility and it didn't help not even a little.
My problem is so much like the other message that I replied to. It's limited to only web browsing not desktop and it's not everything on each page. Some pictures and text on the same page are crisp and clear while others are  distorted, blurry with jagged edges and pictures are pixelated. The very page that I'm on right now (reply to message) everything looks good except the word Community Forum at the top and the little picture tools in the blue bar above this message as I write. Update manager is turned on and I recieve them daily. I use Dells pc ckeckup and you guessed it nothing changes!
No Events found!