Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2012 20:00

DELL INSPIRON N5040 WEBCAM not detected

Hi,

I have a problem, the camera on my laptop is not working. When i open the dell webcam central it appear   a message "no supported webcam connected". 

I can't use skype - video calls :emotion-6:

Please, if smbd had the same problem, help me to fix it!

Thanx!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Konsto,

You can try this file also known as Dell Webcam Central

PLEASE READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED, BELOW.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

2.6K Posts

Hello Konsto,

Messages and errors such as No supported webcam connected, Please plug in a supported device and Close the other video streaming application to start video can be resolved by uninstalling, reinstalling or updating the webcam driver. 

To reinstall the webcam driver, perform the following steps. 
-- Close any applications that are currently using the webcam (this may include web pages). Save and close any applications that you are currently working on as the computer will need to restart.
-- Click Start.
-- Right-Click Computer.
-- Click Properties.
-- Click Device Manager in the upper left-hand corner.
-- Click Imaging devices.
-- Right-click the integrated webcam or USB camera.
-- Click Uninstall.
-- Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.
-- Once uninstalled restart the computer.
-- The drivers for the webcam are provided by Microsoft in Windows 7, and will be automatically reinstalled when the computer is restarted.

Once reinstallation of the drivers is done, I would suggest reinstalling the Dell Webcam Central.
To uninstall the Dell webcam central software, perform the following steps: 

1.      Click Start.
2.      Click Control Panel.
3.      Using the drop-down menu next to View by: in the upper-right corner, select Large Icons.
4.      Click Programs and Features.
5.      Click Dell Webcam Central.
6.      Click Uninstall. 
7.      Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK. 
8.      Once uninstalled restart the computer.

To download the latest version of Webcam Central for your Dell computer, perform the following steps:
1.      Visit www.support.dell.com
Click My Account in the upper right corner and sign in with your Dell My Account in the popup box provided. 
2.      Under the My Software section on the right side of the page, click "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)". 
3.      Click the check-box that agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the My Dell Downloads website and click Register System at the bottom of the page 
4.      At the My Download Locker page, click the registered system that corresponds with the computer you are downloading Webcam Central to. 
5.      Under the Title section, look for Dell Webcam Central. There may be more than one listing for this software title. 
6.      Select the listing with the latest version number in the Version column. Click the check-box under the Download column for this software, and at the bottom of the page click Download Now. 
7.      Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. 
8.      Once the Dell Webcam software is installed restart the computer.
You can also use webcam disk to re-install the webcam drivers on the computer and follow the onscreen instructions.

For more details you may refer to the link mentioned below.
http://dell.to/M1FKcC

Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2012 18:00

Hi, i tried to do all you recommended, but when i opened  the Device Manager, i didn't find the Imaging devices.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2012 13:00

Konsto,

Did you try the webcam diagnostics like I suggested above, and answer the questions?

Rick

1 Message

November 20th, 2012 07:00

I have the same problem did u get an answer

2.6K Posts

November 20th, 2012 12:00

Hello Onry,

Click here to refer the article to  Troubleshoot Webcam Issue. 

I would request you to help me with some information to understand the issue and assist you further. 
-- What is the exact problem that you are facing with the webcam?
-- Since when are you facing the issue? 
-- Were there any recent hardware or software changes.

Please write back to us with details would be glad to assist you further.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2012 17:00

onry,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, right click on the blue Dell-Allan D on the next page start conversation and please provide...

first and last name

shipping address

phone number

email address

service tag

Rick

1 Message

November 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I have a problem, the camera on my laptop is not working. When i open the dell webcam central it appear   a message "no supported webcam connected". 

I can't use skype - video calls :emotion-6:

Please, if smbd had the same problem, help me to fix it!

2.6K Posts

November 26th, 2012 15:00

Hi Shara,

There are few steps I would suggest which would help us in fixing the issue.
-- Run the Dell PC Diagnostics for Webcam
-- Re-install the webcam drivers from Device Manager.
To reinstall the webcam driver, perform the following steps. 

1. Close any applications that are currently using the webcam (this may include web pages). Save and close any applications that you are currently working on as the computer will need to restart.
  2. Click Start.
  3. Right-Click Computer.
  4. Click Properties.
  5. Click Device Manager in the upper left-hand corner.
  6. Click Imaging devices. 
  7. Right-click the Integrated webcam.
  8. Click Uninstall.
  9. Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.
  10. Once uninstalled restart the computer.

Re-install the webcam drivers from the Drivers and Downloads page. Please restart the computer after installing the webcam drivers and check the functionality.

Please try the steps and write back with results, would be glad to assist further. 

1 Message

April 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron N5040 which also has a tag of REFURBISHED.

My Camera Driver is not found, and under the imaging devices of device manager of my laptop the driver is shown as network controller and it shows it is not installed, and when i update it automatically, it says not found after searching online.

when i tried to register my device, i could do it manually on DELL website and my account, it could not go and detect my service tag, it even did not go there.

is it the problem of the REFURBISHED products all? or is there a way or direct link to the driver to solve this problem.?

I also tried the above methods Rick provided.

some of the links even would not open, and the rest, no way out.

when i search for the drivers with my service tag or without it on DELL website, it shows only 5 input devices which are of touch pad and wireless mouse keyboard.

please help me. there are other ways which i don't think DELL would recommend as they can be carrying viruses and in search of driver for camera, you (I) may lose all my data.

HELP (DELL-911)

Regards

1 Message

February 12th, 2014 20:00

Hi I also have a problem with my inspiron n5040 cant find the webcam driver can u please help

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 13th, 2014 11:00

babythumper,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

No Events found!