Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2013 07:00

Dell INSPIRON 9300 from 2005 and a Inspiron M511R 2013 New

Is it possible to send this reliable relic, INSPIRON 9300, to Dell to have it updated to Windows 7 ---(don't like Windows 8)--- and a basic updated driver, sound card, etc. overhaul service? It has XP Service Pack 3 and I'm aware there will no longer be XP support after mid April 2014. It seems as though I could go through a lot of work trying to do it myself on the Internet. I just don't have the time or desire to do so. I have to go into CPU usage and end useless sessions and she runs just fine. Problem is, video on Youtube and such just don't sync. Skips and constantly needs to buffer. However, I don't experience these symptoms on everything I try to view. Sometimes it works great.

Also, I have a Inspiron M511R I bought and decided to do something stupid like put PC Clean software on it... killed it right before my eyes. Turn it on and it sits dark. No response from any USB ports. They were the first to go, one at a time, before it just went dark and won't respond.

Between these two options,  I could use the great feedback I always get using this forum support as to what to do. I'm not using these computers for work. Just paying bills, communication, Youtube and videos. I'm thinking of Huluplus, but not with what I have going for me now. Thanks for any time and consideration given to my situation. I can't help but feel like I'm setting myself up to get screwed by Best Buy... just taking them in to be fixed without consulting with this forum first.

Thanks,

88Inator

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 15th, 2013 07:00

Dell won't install Windows 7 - but most computer shops will.  By the time you buy a copy of 7 and pay an install fee it'll be $300 or so - far more than the system is worth.  It may make sense if you can install it yourself (get the 32-bit version - NOT the 64), but it will make no sense to pay to have it installed.

The other system sounds like a hardware failure - will it start up correctly in safe mode?  F8 at powerup.

6 Posts

December 16th, 2013 06:00

Thanks a lot for info on my new Dell computer that went down. I turned it on and it came up. Did a System Restore and opted to wipe out everything on it and that fixed the problem. It's up and running like new with no problems. Another example of the great recommendations I get coming to this support forum. EJN63 just saved me at least the cost of Windows 8.1, a lot of time and frustration online and a repair cost at Best Buy. What would that have been? At least a $300?

Thanks again EJN63!

88Inator

No Events found!