Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2009 21:00

Dell Inspiron 1440 320 GB Seagate Hard Disk failure

HI,

I bought Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop 2 months ago. Everything was great and all of a sudden I heard a tic toc tic toc sound loud enough to hear in whole of my room. It stayed for almost 15-20 seconds and my laptop was hung too during that and after that laptop started working normally . After 5--6 hours it happened again. This event continued to occur for 2 days and then  on 2nd day, the sound lasted for almost 1-2 minutes and my laptop restarted after 2 minutes. After bios, it showed an error that no hard disk found. I restarted the laptop by using power button. It again started to work normally. Now it happens on daily basis that laptop restarts after that tic toc sound and gives error. I scanned the disk with windows scandisk tool and performed a surface scan too. Now that sound has again minimized to 10-15 seconds and my laptop also does not restarts. Anyone can let me know following things;

1- Any tool, software that can be used to solve this problem,

2- Does my waranty covers hard disk, If yes how to claim as this is one of a day problem and does not lasts.

3- Can I replace my HD in waranty with 500GB hard disk??

Thanks in advance

539 Posts

December 12th, 2009 03:00

Rush to DELL if under warranty - sounds like your disk is toast.

Normally if you bought the disk yourself, a RMA would be the normal procedure through the website of the disk manufacturer.
On the site of the disk manufacturer, there's usually a disk diagnostic tool that reports the error and what to do. If any hardware related error, the error code is input for the RMA procedure. If the DELL diagnostic tool doesn't give you errors, use the disk diagnostic tool of the disk manufacturer.

You can check the warranty of the disk by typing in serial number at the manufacturer website.Possible it'll be listed at exempted of warranty by manufacturer because it's delivered by DELL.

In your shoes I'd do 2 things - buy yourself a new harddisk - it's usually a user replaceable item. The manual usually tells you how to replace the harddisk.
If you don't know how, let some-one else do it who has experience.

This way you have the full choice what harddisk for what price. Install that one - leave the ole one for DELL warranty.

Call DELL to get the disk replaced - not your laptop sent back. Put the replaced disk in an external 2.0 USB casing for backup purposes.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2009 03:00

1.  Run the extended hard drive diagnostics (F12 at powerup).

2.  Yes.

3.  No.  If the drive has failed, you'll receive a replacement the same size as the original.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2009 06:00

Thanks all for your quick replies

ejn63: I have run the extended hard drive diagnostic and it says no problem found.

I have also tried following two programs and they are also showing that my hard disk is 100% healthy

1- Hard Disk Sentinel Professional v3.00

2- HD Tune Pro

Frankly speaking I am not worried as I got 10 months warranty and can easily get it replaced. But I don't want to replace it as I got almost 200GB data that I don't want to loose and I have no other HD available for its backup.

Can dell transfer my data from this HD to the one they will give me as replacement?

And also how long it takes to get the replacement?

I got one failure in the morning and then I  ran the the scandisk utility of windows again with surface scan and now hard disk is working fine again. From this looks like there's some problem with the surface. But above advanced utilities show no problems at all.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2009 07:00

Data backup is your responsibility - I would strongly suggest you buy an external drive to keep backups.  Dell isn't responsible for data or data transfer - they will simply send you a drive.

Keeping your only copy of irreplaceable data on  a single hard drive is simply foolish.

539 Posts

December 12th, 2009 08:00

I'd rush to make backups - first thing!

Once the disk is permanently inaccessible it'll be a very expensive affair to recover data.
This kind of money buys a lot of disks.

11 Posts

December 12th, 2009 12:00

Thanks all for your quick replies

ejn63: I have run the extended hard drive diagnostic and it says no problem found.

I have also tried following two programs and they are also showing that my hard disk is 100% healthy

1- Hard Disk Sentinel Professional v3.00

2- HD Tune Pro

Frankly speaking I am not worried as I got 10 months warranty and can easily get it replaced. But I don't want to replace it as I got almost 200GB data that I don't want to loose and I have no other HD available for its backup.

Can dell transfer my data from this HD to the one they will give me as replacement?

And also how long it takes to get the replacement?

I got one failure in the morning and then I  ran the the scandisk utility of windows again with surface scan and now hard disk is working fine again. From this looks like there's some problem with the surface. But above advanced utilities show no problems at all.

Sounds like your Hard drive is almost toast, clicking sounds are bad ... I have run into the same problem many times and I grabbed my important data and placed it onto a working hard drive with a handy little adapter that allows you to port a sata /IDE hard drive into a usb port that goes into a different working PC. Grab your important data through the windows explorer and your data is at least safe. This cheap little contraption has saved me big time in recovering important data:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8497787&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8497787

You will have to remove the dying hard drive from your pc and then connect it to the adapter. Once it is connected to the adapter, plug in the USB end into a working computer's USB port. I have a giant supply of old/failing/failed IDE hard drives from the 1990s that i was able to pull data from with this device and was lucky to stumble on this little adapter on amazon.

hope it helps...

No Events found!