Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2012 11:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 unable to restore windows 7

The laptop will not boot in any mode. So, I got into the System Recovery options via F8 Repair my Computer.

I've tried all of the options, including running rstrui.exe from the command prompt, but all of these either freeze or say no restore point available.

I ran diagnostics and these suggest a hard drive issue (error code 2000-0142 status 79)

I have the backup and recovery DVDs I created when setting up the laptop.

I've managed to xcopy all of the user files to DVDs, so now just want to do a factory restore or just restore windows OS. The laptop was not supplied with the Windows OS CD/DVD.

If I need to replace the hard drive, how would I go about reinstalling Windows?

Grateful for any help people can offer.

June 8th, 2012 12:00

Hi wotnowalshy,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

In order to help you better would request you to accept my friend request.Then you need to click on your username on the dell community forum website and then on the Friends Tab and start a conversation. This is a private messaging service where in you can share th dell system account details.

Thanks,

Smita

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

1 Message

June 8th, 2012 13:00

you can contact dell for getting the disc's.. or you can get the hard drive replaced from dell incase the system is in warranty.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

If you are in the US you can fill out this form to request installation disks-- support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

P.S. you will need to get 2.5" SATA harddrive. You can get it at Dell parts and upgrades or elsewhere:

• 128 GB Solid State Drive (Crucial) 128 GB - £90, faster but less storage space here.

• 500 GB SATA Drive - £126, Dell Parts and Upgrades here.

• 750 GB SATA Drive WD - £80.71 amazon.co.uk

To install Windows 7 64 bit on a new hard drive, follow the instructions in my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7. This will guide you through the installation using a Dell Windows Reinstallation Media or downloadable retail media. Have a readover it before proceeding. 

In step 5. of the wiki, I have listed the drivers you need in the recommended install order here. Dell have had problems with their drivers and downloads website, so I made an unofficial wiki with driver links directly on Dells ftp server.

Thanks for the tips.

Further rooting about had revealed that there is some corruption in the registry. May be connected with the suspect hard drive diagnostic.

I've found a large .WIM file, which I assume is a Windows image, so I'm downloading the Windows AIK to DVS, but not holding out much hope of that doing the job.

It's out of warranty, sadly.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 8th, 2012 15:00

Let me know how that goes however I think the new hard drive and a clean install of windows will be the best course of action.

June 15th, 2012 03:00

Just an update - I've manged to reinstall windows from an image. Seems OK so far, but I think I'll still replace the hard drive.

1 Message

July 12th, 2013 13:00

My Dell Inspiron 1545 is not loading Windows 7. I am in a loop with Launch Repair and Start in safe mode. I have no Recovery CD. Would the Recovery disc overwrite all of my programs and folders? Or would it just reinstall Windows 7?
No Events found!