Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2013 05:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE shutting down unexpectedly.

Hello. I apologise in advance for the probable wall of text.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15R SE about a year ago now, but in the last month I've had 3 problems. Firstly, the internal hard drive went and was replaced by the engineer. Secondly, the motherboard was replaced as I had a charging issue - the problem is since I've had the motherboard changed, my laptop shuts itself off unexpectedly after about 10-15mins of usage. It just literally goes black and shuts down, no warning.

My issue is that the fan is running louder than before (I'm not sure if the engineer replaced the fan right, possibly overheating but I don't know) and since the motherboard was replaced, my boot up screen is different. The two noticeable factors are the errors 'PXE-E53: No bootname file received' and below that.. 'PXE-MOF (I think, it was hard to see from the video I took): Exiting PXE ROM.'

I've Googled as much as I can and some people say it is to do with UEFI booting from the BIOS, so I changed it from Legacy to UEFI to see if there is a difference. Unfortunately I am awful at computer technology so these terms mean nothing to me.. I am a final year Uni student so my laptop is vital to me for completing essays/dissertation and this problem is stopping me from doing so! Could anyone offer some help? 

Many thanks, Jordan.

EDIT: I should add that I updated the BIOS 2-3 days ago to A10(?) as I was told to do and it seemed to help as my laptop stayed on for the day and was fine once I closed the laptop, but I shut it down last night before going to sleep and since this morning it has been turning off randomly after 10-15 minutes. It seems like if it is left on, it's fine but if I shut the laptop down, the problems start up again. I've been sent a recovery disk from Dell but they have sent me a Windows 8 Recovery Disk when I'm operating Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional, I can't remember which.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2013 06:00

reboot

F12

run Dell Diagnostics

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2013 07:00

You cannot use a Windows 8 Recover Disk on your Windows 7 laptop.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2013 07:00

I did this and all tests came back passed. I ran the thorough test on the hard drive the other day and all was fine. Just got off the phone with a Dell technician (used the online support thing) and he remotely accessed my laptop and ran a PC Checkup which all seemed fine. I googled the problems and some said to boot in UEFI through the hard drive, which I've tried doing and it seemed to work but now I'm being prompted to do a system restore to attempt to fix the problems. I'm supposed to receive a call later to walk me through the recovery disk installation, but I'm not sure if i could use a Windows 8 Recovery Disk on a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop?

Thank you for any help on the matter.

Jordan.

3 Posts

November 15th, 2013 03:00

I thought as much.

I spoke to a tech support guy on the phone and from some more Google searching, I was told to change to UEFI boot up. The screen seems normal when I press F12 on start up and select to boot from my Hard Drive, but I still encounter the unexpected shut downs. When I changed it to UEFI Secure Boot [Off] the screen said it was trying to load PXE over IPV4/6 and would time out and when restarting, it would not even load up the F2/F12 boot options, it would just remain on the Dell logo. 

When I had it on yesterday (somehow stayed on all day after a lot of faffing around) then shut down the laptop to go to sleep, I get the screen that says it wasn't shut down properly despite it actually being shut down properly.

The lady still hasn't phoned so I can tell her she has sent the wrong recovery disk, so I'm trying to look at ways to fix this myself. I think I'm going to have to call out an engineer regardless as I'm struggling to find anything that helps.

Thanks.

No Events found!