Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2012 10:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 After Vista Reinstall Can't Connect to Internet

I've just reinstalled Vista on my Inspiron 1720.  The OS works fine, but I can't connect to the internet.  I have the driver disk and have attempted to install the drivers but I am not getting a wireless connection.  I installed the broadcom 440 x 10/100 integrated controller which is on the device manager and seems to be working all right.  I installed both the Intel wireless wifi link 4965 AGN and the dell wireless (US) LAN card but I do not see neither in the device manager.   

1.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 11:00

Ηi,

Press F2 key on keyboard or a combination of Fn and F2 and check if you are able to use Internet.

If not, then please check if there is any yellow exclamation or red cross in 'Device Manager' of your computer.

Open Device Manager by clicking Start/Windows logo on desktop --> ‘Control Panel’ --> ‘System and Maintenance’ --> ‘Device Manager’ --> Check for any yellow exclamation or red cross.

Please check and let me know all the options you see under 'Network' adaptors.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Once I have the Service Tag of your computer, I will be able to provide you the direct link for the driver that needs to be installed on your computer.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 12:00

The only option for the network adaptor is the broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.  There are four yellow explanation points under other devices.  Three base system devices and network controller.

Thank you for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 12:00

Chief9mike,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 13:00

Chief9mike,

You should be able to install the drivers in the correct order and things will start working.

Rick

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi Rick,

I initially installed a few different drivers before realizing there was an order.  I then went ahead and installed all the drivers in the correct order.  Is that ok or do I go back and reinstall the operating system and then install the drivers in the correct order?

Thanks for your help.  

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 17:00

Still no luck.  I reinstalled the  operating system and installed the drivers in the correct order.  I am getting a message when i try to connect to the internet that the system does not have a wireless internet adapter installed and configured.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 19:00

Chief9mike,

If it's still the same hard drive, try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Maybe your disks are not nstalling correctly. If you live in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA if in another Country, contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

Rick

6 Posts

October 25th, 2012 06:00

Rick,

Thanks for your help.  I tried a number of drivers and finally found got it to work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 10:00

Chief9mike,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

3.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                

No Events found!