Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Dell Inspiron 1721 problem

I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 1721, AMD Turion 64X2 TL-64 (2.2GHz/1MB) laptop with 4GB of memory running Windows 7 64bit.  While I was using it, the screen went blank, but the status lights (power, disc, Bluetooth, AC power) acted normal.  I have the Power Option set to shutdown when the cover is closed, so I closed the cover and everything acted normal as the power went off.

Now when I turn the power on, the Dell logo appears and then the laptop powers off within a few seconds.  No beeps are made.  I’ve swapped batteries, check my AC adapter, reseated the memory cards, and reseated the hard drive, but I still have the same problem.

I would like to determine what the problem is before I make a decision whether to repair or replace it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Remove the battery, unplug the system, and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive.  Then verify that the LED on the AC adapter is ON.  If it's not, replace the adapter with a new one.   If it's ON, connect it and try powering up again - if the system will power up, then try with the battery.  If it'll power up without but not with the battery, the battery is bad.

If the system sill won't power up having done the foregoing, the mainboard is bad.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2011 14:00

I've done all of your suggestions and it still powers off within seconds.  Now the Dell logo doesn't even appear.  I guess it must be the motherboard, so I'll check around for a new laptop.  I'm happy that I got 4 years out of the old one.  It sure was a good one.

Thanks for your help, Joe

No Events found!