Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 8th, 2009 05:00

Dell Inspiron 2650 Bios Update and Firmware installation

When I start my laptop I sometimes get vertical lines on the screen just after the Dell intro screen goes off and Windows XP appears.  The odd time I will then get a blue error screen appear afterwards but with  the vertical lines I can’t read the error message. 

I have reinstalled Windows a couple of times to cure this problem and even when I only have windows XP installed and the System drivers from my Dell utilities disk I still get the vertical lines.

At the moment I am trying to reinstall the bios and possibly the hard drive firmware just to see if that fixes it but when I start to install the bios from floppy disk I get a black screen with the message, TYPE THE NAME OF THE INTERPRETER (E.G., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

When I start to install the hard drive firmware from floppy disk I get a black screen with the message, 1) PORT 0 MASTER IC25N020ATCS04-0 IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS TOOL

I downloaded the bios and firmware and relevant installation instructions through the Dell website using my service tag but I am getting nowhere with it, can anyone advise me on how to sort these two problems out?

I still have all of my original disks that came with my laptop.

Tanks for your time,

9.3K Posts

September 27th, 2009 20:00

I would suggest you ask this in the laptop section instead of the server section as it's more likely that someone that knows the answer to this is reading that section of the boards.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2009 07:00

See if the lines appear on an external monitor - likely, they will.  If they do, reseat (remove and reinstall) the video card.  If that doesn't fix the problem, replace the video card with a new one.

If the lines DO NOT appear on an external monitor, you likely have a faulty display panel.

946 Posts

September 28th, 2009 07:00

Moving to the laptop section.

No Events found!