Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2013 10:00

Dell Inspiron 3420 audio problem

My Inspiron 3420 suddenly stopped playing audio while watching movie. I can hear sound through headphones but not through built-in speakers. I'm using windows 8 pro (64 bit) with all drivers up to date. windows troubleshooter detects no problem. plz help what should I do now

3 Posts

May 6th, 2013 11:00

I did all of the steps but still can't hear audio. I think this is due to Vlc player, plz suggest if I need to change my soundcard?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 6th, 2013 11:00

Start by using Windows System Restore to go back a day or whatever. If that doesn't help try re-installing your audio driver. If that doesn't help then see section 1 of the Headphone Jack FAQ.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 6th, 2013 12:00

Hello. If VLC player caused any damage to the speakers it would be permanent physical damage, so changing your sound card would not help with that. Anyway the sound card is on the mother board and can't be changed.

If you have Dell Diagnostics audio tests on your laptop [note that not all models have it anymore] then run it. If you hear audio from your speakers and it sounds normal then the speakers are okay. If you can run Dell Diagnostics audio tests and you do not hear any audio through the speakers during the tests, then some part of your audio hardware has suffered a failure. It could be the speakers or a loose connection.

If you cannot run Dell diagnostics audio tests then another test that is just as good is to restore the laptop to the original factory configuration. That will fix the problem except in cases where the hardware has failed, so you will either have a solution or at least you will know that you need a repair.

If you decide to contact Tech support, I suggest that you remove VLC before they have a chance to find it on your system.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!