Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2017 18:00

Dell Inspiron 5999 charger not recognised problem

Hey, I've had this laptop for about a year or two now, and on about three separate occasions the laptop has reported that the charger is not recognised. On previous occasions I have had to call Dell and they send me a new charger which works fine for a few months until I get this problem again, and I have to repeat the process. 

I guess it is that time again, because the laptop has stopped recognising my charger, and refuses to charge. How can I fix this and stop it from happening? I am sick of having to call Dell multiple times just to get a new charger, only for it to stop working a few months later. How can I fix this issue permanently? I am severely disappointed. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 14th, 2017 08:00

Hi buggycobra, 

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your computer is not working as you expected. In researching this for you, it appears that if the charger plug is inserted and removed multiple times, the internal connection to the motherboard can become defective thus giving a "not recognized" error.  You may need to have the motherboard changed to keep this from happening.

Please contact Tech Support in your country to troubleshoot.  Thanks.

April 20th, 2017 01:00

Welcome to the Community.

The issue can be fixed with the BIOS update. Please visit the Dell's Drivers page at the below link and enter your systems Service Tag # and download and update the BIOS of the system.

www.dell.com/.../NeedProductSelection

On BIOS update the system will restart and the issue shall be fixed.

Thank you

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach Dell at:

twitter.com /

https://www.facebook.com/dell

http://en.community.dell.com/

Please share the system model and the operating system installed. The error 'plugged in not charging' can be caused due to various reasons such as faulty adapter or faulty charging board.

You may try below mentioned steps which may help in fixing the issue. Steps to perform Flea Power are:

• Power off the system. 
  • Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the battery from it.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds to release the residual charge from the laptop.
  • Reconnect the battery and the AC Adapter.
  • Once the system is powered on and booted properly, re-seat the battery. Check if you still get the error or not.
  • Boot the system to BIOS, tapping the F2 key on the Dell logo screen when you power on the system.
  • Press F9 key to load BIOS defaults. Once done, press F10 key to save and exit. System will restart. Check if the error is still there.
  • Try and wiggle the AC Adapter cable and check if that makes a difference.

If it still doesn't work, parts replacement may be required. 
Reset ipad iphone

Hope this helps. Please share the findings.

No Events found!