Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2012 05:00

Dell Inspiron N5010 hard drive failure?

Hi, the other day my Win7 started bluescreening and then refused to boot as it would bluescreen abuout half way through start up, so using Fedora live disk I checked the status of my hard disk, and it reported read errors, so due to not having a windows 7 disk (laptop came with no recovery media) I installed Windows 8, but the installer told me that it could not be installed on the hard disk. Then back to fedora, I formatted the partition to NTFS, and then installed Windows 8 happily. Next time I booted win8, all I got was a loading screen, followed by a brief sad face on the screen and a reboot, so I went to re-install windows 8, and it gave me the smae message as last time, so back to Fedora and format, but I made a mistake this time, and accidentally deleted DELLUTILITY, so when I reinstalled Win8, it had no drivers. But everytime my laptop is powered off the OS needs to be reinstalled, untill this morning whn it refused to install anythine, not even Ubuntu or Fedora.

My warranty expired in July, what can I do?

Thanks, Ben.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 24th, 2012 06:00

If the hard drive has read errors, it needs to be replaced.  You will need a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive.

To replace the drive, see here:

February 24th, 2014 16:00

• Power down system.
  • Disconnect and reconnect hard drive from System Board & Hard Drive.
  • Run ePSA again, if no error occurs there is a possible issue with the cable or the connector.
  • Connect SATA cable to another SATA port on the Motherboard.
  • Update to the latest BIOS version.  Please refer to the Dell Support site to download the latest BIOS revision for your system. 
    For help on how to update the BIOS, please refer to Article606787
  • If available, replace with a verified working cable and rerun ePSA Diagnostics.
  • Run Check Disk Repair from the Command Prompt. >C:\chkdsk/r/f
  • Run a full format on the Hard Drive and reinstall the operating system.

February 24th, 2014 16:00

000-0146 Hard Drive (d) – Self Test log contains previous errors
No Events found!