Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2012 22:00

Dell Inspiron N5010 windows 7 won't start

Hi,

I have my laptop for about 2 years and now it won't start. When I switch it on, it first shows Dell logo, then goes to a black screen with some white words and is stuck there. I didn't create a restoration CD when I bought this laptop, so I called Dell and they send me 2 disks - one is the OS and the other the Drivers. I inserted the OS disk and have the system reboot to it. I went throught he screen of language selection, etc and was installing Windows. Everything seemed going well. On the screen it says that to complete installation it will need to restart the computer for a few times. However, when the installation is finished and the laptop restarted, it goes to the same screen of language selection, and Install Windows. I have to do it again and it restarted and goes back to the language selection and so on... what should I do to fix this?? By the way when I press F2 and did the system diagnosis, it seems that all the hardware passed the testing...

Thx.

763 Posts

October 20th, 2012 17:00

It sounds as though it may not be finding your boot loader. If you start the Windows installation process over again, there should be a screen that shows your drive(s) and partition(s). Delete those so the entire drive is unallocated space. Then let Windows create the partition, format it and install the OS on its own. Doing this will ensure Windows is loading correctly during boot and able to find the correct files. The original (factory) installation has the boot loader on a recovery partition and that can confuse Windows if something is not correct.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

October 19th, 2012 23:00

Hi  kxw205,

Welcome to the Community,

It could be an issue with the HDD.To further check run the Custom test on the HDD.This will run a thorough test on the HDD.

For steps to run the Custom test refer to this link below :

support.dell.com/.../document

Note:If the utility partion on the HDD is deleted you wont get the option to run the above test.However since you've the Drivers CD you can boot the system using the Drivers CD and run the above test.

Follow the steps below to run the test using the Drivers CD:

1. Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD into the CD drive.

2. Shut down and restart the computer.

When the DELL® logo appears, press immediately.

If you wait too long and the Windows logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer through the Start menu and try again.

NOTE: This feature changes the boot sequence for one time only. On the next start-up, the computer boots according to the devices specified in system setup.

3. When the boot device list appears, highlight IDE CD-ROM Device and press .

4. Select the IDE CD-ROM Device option from the CD boot menu.

5. Select the Boot from CD-ROM option from the menu that appears.

6. Type 1 to start the ResourceCD menu.

7. Type 2 to start the Dell Diagnostics.

8. Select Run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics from the numbered list. If multiple versions are listed, select the version appropriate for your platform.

9.When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select Custom Test,select HDD,run test.

Post back error code/message if any.

Thank You

4 Posts

October 20th, 2012 10:00

Hi Roshan,

Thanks for your reply. I ran the test both by pressing F12 then select "diagnosis", and by the Drivers CD. Everything passes the test including HDD and memory. What else can be wrong? Please advise.

Thanks.

763 Posts

October 20th, 2012 10:00

What were the "white words" on your screen? Do you recall?

If the Windows installation completed, you did eject the CD, correct? If not, the system is booting from that instead of the hard drive and that would explain why you continue to see the Windows setup every time you boot.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2012 11:00

After my last post, this is what I did: I pressed F2 when start up to enter setup, I set Hard Disk as my first boot drive, saved it. Then I restart my computer and pressed F12, selected CD/DVD to boot with (I suppose this makes the system boot from CD for just this time). Then I reinstalled windows, as in my above post. After windows is installed, the screen shows "the system needs to reboot in ... seconds". Then it goes to reboot. But after the DELL logo page showed, this black screen came up with a flashing white cursor. Then it was stuck there. Any suggestions please??

4 Posts

October 20th, 2012 11:00

The white words are just "this product is .... US patents.........".

When I install windows, I can see the screen says Your computer will restart several times during installation. Below that I can see the items are being checked one by one as installation proceeds: Copying Windows files, Expanding Windows files, Installng features, Installing updates, Completing installation. Then the computer restart by itself. However after that it went to the same screen of installing windows again, just like when I first restarted the computer with the OS disk. The CD did not eject by itself though, when it says installation is complete.

3.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                

No Events found!