Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 04:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 Touch Pad not working

I have been through the whole forum and though everyone is posting about their touchpad issues none of them seems to be a fix for my touch pad problem.

I brought a new dell Inspiron N5110 and after a week all of the sudden the touch pad stopped working. I restarted the laptop and then it started working but the next time I switched my laptop again it was not working and since then I am unable to use the touch pad. I have installed UPDATED DRIVERS for my touch pad but still no good. And YES I have made sure that the Touch Pad is NOT locked, in fact when I press Fn + F3 it does not do anything (The small orange led light does not glow).

When I check in the Mouse options it does not show the Dell Touch Pad Tab, while the Dell Touch Pad Driver Software is shown in Programs and Features.

Can someone please help me out in this regards?

4.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 04:00

Hi  Dexaj,

Welcome to the Community,

Try uninstalling the current Touchpad driver from Device Manager.To uninstall go to Device Manager,expand Mice and Pointing device,right click on the Touch pad listed,click uninstall,put a check mark in the box for Delete this driver software,click OK.

Reboot the system and check under Programs and Features if Dell Touchpad is gone from that list.If its still there uninstall and again reboot the system.After rebooting the system download and install this Touchpad driver from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps,

Thank You

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 05:00

Hi  Dexaj,

Try uninstalling the current Touchpad driver from Device Manager.To uninstall go to Device Manager,expand Mice and Pointing device,right click on the Touch pad listed,click uninstall,put a check mark in the box for Delete this driver software,click OK.

Reboot the system and check under Programs and Features if Dell Touchpad is gone from that list.If its still there uninstall and again reboot the system.After rebooting the system download and install this Touchpad driver from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps,

Thank You

I did exactly the same but still no good.  :emotion-6:

4.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 05:00

Run hardware diagnostics and see if you get any error and also post a screen shot of the Device Manager after expanding Mice and Pointing device.

To run the hardware diagnostics,tap F12 on start up (Dell logo),select Diagnostics,press enter.  

3 Posts

June 25th, 2012 10:00

Here the screen shot of the Device Manager with the Mice and Pointing Device expanded:

I also ran the diagnostics and it showed no error or anything. I even went ahead with "Full Test" but nothing. All it said that the system has been checked etc, but no mention of any problems.

4.4K Posts

June 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi Dexaj,

Please private message me your System Service tag number.To private message accept my friend request,click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

1 Message

September 11th, 2012 19:00

I am having the SAME problem as well!! The mouse will move around but it will not allow me to double tap or click, and the two buttons on the touchpad stopped working as well. I have RE INSTALLED current drivers, ran diagnostics, restarted and even restored to an earlier point but NOTHING works!!! I am getting fed up with having to use a wired mouse some one PLEASE give us a solution and not make me regret getting a DELL.

3.3K Posts

September 11th, 2012 22:00

Hi Idunn,

Let me appreciate the fact that you have tried most of the steps yourself to resolve the issue.

I request you to private message system service tag number, Owners name and contact number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

September 30th, 2012 23:00

Hello,

I seem to suffer from the exact same issue.

My service tag number is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>. I bought my laptop in Israel, and I'm currently in the US for the next few weeks, hope to get it solved before going back - as it's really bothering my work with the laptop.

Thanks,

Effy

2 Posts

November 30th, 2012 13:00

Completely the same issue with my 17R 5720. Have reinstalled BIOS, touchpad driver, run diagnostics - no errors... Nothing helps. Is there a solution or should I take it back to the shop?

4.4K Posts

December 1st, 2012 00:00

Hi Ihor R.,

Is the indicator light on Touchpad turning on when you disable the touchpad(press Fn + F3 to enable/disable)?

Click Start  ->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound,Double Click Dell Touchpad to open the application and check if Touchpad is On or Off.

Try to uninstall the Touchpad driver from Device Manager and then reinstall the driver.

To uninstall go to Device Manager,expand Mouse and pointing device,right click on the Touchpad,click Uninstall,put check mark for delete driver software,click OK.

Reboot the system,download and reinstall the driver from this link below :

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-5720

After installing reboot the system and check if it works.

Thank You

2 Posts

December 1st, 2012 10:00

i have the sam problem. when i connect the charger then cursor is lagging and hanging. while on battery it is normal. kindly help me

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 13:00

Hi Roshan L,

Thank you. The answers to your questions are as following:

>> Is the indicator light on Touchpad turning on when you disable the touchpad(press Fn + F3 to enable/disable)?

It's off and it doesn't change if Fn + F3 is pressed.

>> Click Start  ->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound,Double Click Dell Touchpad to open the application and check if Touchpad is On or Off.

Touchpad is On.

>> Try to uninstall the Touchpad driver from Device Manager and then reinstall the driver.

I can't see touchpad in the device manager, only the mouse, just like the guy above. That's the reason I went in this thread. Anyway, I have installed the driver you're pointing me to, reinstalled the BIOS, installed touchpad driver again. Doesn't help.

Could you please advise what to do next? How did you fix the problem of the OP? 

Thanks in advance.

Ihor

4.4K Posts

December 4th, 2012 01:00

Hi  waqar_u92,

Try to release flea power and then check how Touchpad works with AC adapter connected.To release flea power disconnect the AC adapter,disconnect all external peripherals(USB devices), remove battery,press and hold power button for 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and AC adapter and check Touchpad functionality.

If the issue persists try a different AC adapter(borrow from someone who uses a same watt Dell AC adapter).

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the Touchpad driver?

Have you updated the BIOS?

Thank You

4.4K Posts

December 4th, 2012 01:00

Hi Ihor,

Looks like a hardware problem as the Touchpad LED is not responding even after reinstalling the drivers and also the Touchpad is not getting detected in Device Manager. Most likely the Touchpad needs to be replaced.

Please private message me your System Service tag number along with your full name,address and phone number.To click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

2 Posts

December 19th, 2012 11:00

Hi guys. I also have a same problem.  Recently I have brought inspiron 5520. When I start my pc everything seems ok,but if I disable my touchpad ( fn+f3),the orange light is not liting. And again if i enable touchpad(fn+f3),the two buttons stop working but the touchpad works. Like i can move the cursor by touchpad but cant use left and right selection keys. Plz help.

No Events found!