Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2014 12:00

Dell Inspiron15R (7520) not booting

Hi, I'm unable to boot my Inspiron 15R SE laptop. There are no response from the laptop when I pressed the power button. No LED lights, no disk noise ! The only thing I noticed is the power cable light goes out immediately when plugged into the laptop. 

I have tried taking the battery and power cable out , hold the power button for 30 seconds , place battery and power cable back then tried rebooting but laptop still won't boot. Please can somebody help ?

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 18th, 2014 15:00

Hi Dellusr123

The symptom indicates as a hardware failure (Motherboard). Could be a short-circuit with the AC adapter port.

You may also try using a known good AC adapter. Try removing the Adapter and battery from the computer. Re-seat the power cord bricks in the adapter and then connect only the adapter start the computer.

May also need information if the system is still under warranty.

Do let me know if you have further queries.

4 Posts

June 18th, 2014 17:00

Hi Dell-Geoffrey,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try and find a good AC adaptor tomorrow. It's strange that the green LED on the brick part of the AC adaptor goes out immediately when plugged into the laptop but re-appears a few moments later when disconnected from the laptop.

The laptop will be 2 years old next month and it hasn't got warranty any more. 

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 20th, 2014 07:00

Hi DELLUSR123,

Were you able to try a known good AC adapter?

Do let me know if you have further queries.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 20th, 2014 15:00

When the LED on the adapter goes out on connecting the system, the mainboard is bad.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2014 15:00

Hi Dell-Geoffrey,

Yes, I managed to borrow a  working AC adapter. Unfortunately , this too had the same result when plugged into the laptop.

i.e. the LED on the AC adapter goes off immediately when connected to the laptop and no response from the laptop when the power on button is pressed.

Any ideas ?

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2014 01:00

Thanks EJN63.

I guess it'll be pretty difficult and expensive to fix ?  

Quite disappointed that this laptop didn't even last 2 years !

1 Message

November 4th, 2014 16:00

I have had very similar behavior for the past several months. 

If I leave the laptop off but plugged in the battery will charge in 24-30 hours and then I can use it for 2 hours until the battery drains.

If I remove the battery the system boots and works.  I have tried a different adapter, same issues.

I'm confused on whether this is a battery issue or a main board.

Can someone tell me if this is covered under my warranty which runs out in 10 days?

my service tag is 3QVQGW1

Thanks

No Events found!