Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2014 12:00

Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525 Microphone not working

I have installed Windows 7 . I think after that the Microphone has stopped working.Where di I get the latest Drive for the inbuilt Microphone 

Bot the inbuilt Web Camera as well as Microphone is not working

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 9th, 2014 17:00

Hello. Dell does not support win 7 on the Inspiron 1525 with drivers. In particualr there is no audio driv er for the Sigmatel audio hardware because the Sigmatel company went out of business before 7 existed.

However one of our forum regulars (Philip Yip) has assembled some drivers for the 1525. I would install the Sigmatel Vista driver using Vista compatibility mode.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/inspiron-laptops-windows-7/inspiron-1525-windows-7-64-bit/

If you need more help please say if you have 7 32-bit or 64-bit.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the immediate response. Wanted to provide more informations before trying out. When I check the status of Device Drivers by right clicking  My Computer under Sound its says this device is working properly ( High Definition Audio Device ) The same status also at Control Panel - Sound

But when I go to Prgrams - accessories and Recording there is absolutely no waveform even if I make maximum audio noise. The internal speaker is working fine.

The internal web camera also seems to be faulty. I feel this the internal camera is faulty.

I have installed Windows 7 32 bit on Dell Inspiron 1525. I do not think I have Sigmatel Audio device.

Please advise. Thanks and Regards

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 11th, 2014 20:00

I do not think I have Sigmatel Audio device.

This link goes to the Inspiron 1525 page on Dell's ftp server. That page has all of the drivers that Dell offers for the 1525. The reason that all of the audio drivers are Sigmatel is because Sigmatel was the vendor that made the audio hardware for the laptop and supplied Dell with the audio drivers.

says this device is working properly ( High Definition Audio Device )

"High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the generic or native windows audio driver. It is automatically installed whenever the vendor's driver's files are missing from the driver folder on the hard drive.It usually works okay as far as audio playback but usually will not work with the mic jack. The webcam & mic array "should" work with the native driver but its more complicated.

The internal web camera also seems to be faulty. I feel this the internal camera is faulty.

The internal mics are part of the webcam -- it is all one physical unit. In Vista one had to install the Creative Labs Webcam Manager. In 7 there is a native webcam driver so it is "supposed" to work. But if you think the webcam is wonky that would explain why the mics don't work.

( When you were on the Recording tab of the Sound properties, did you right click to open the context menu and check both show disabled and disconnected devices? The name of the mics is mic array.)

No Events found!