Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2011 23:00

Dell Lat D430 FN button not working!

Hello all,

I have a slight problem and i thought i would throw it to the gurus on here, to start i am not very tech savvy so please be gentle......

I have a Dell Latitude D430 that is having a few issues, it is running XP and i have noticed that the "FN" key does not work wich is annoying as i dont have any volume at all on the unit, also wifi works really well but when at the office today and i pluged the internet (blue) cord into the laptop i could not get on line......I am at a loss if anyone could help i would be grateful.

My toshiba has had it and this is a friends old pc, i was hoping to get a year or so out of it, but really need volume for work...

Thanks in advance,

Ben

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 9th, 2011 05:00

the "FN" key does not work

That is controlled by the Dell Quickset program. Look on the taskbar and see if you have the Dell Quickset icon there. It's in the shape of a blue Q with a yellow tail sticking out of it. Click the icon (on some versions you must right click it) and uncheck 'disable onscreen volume meter.'

If the icon is missing look under Start/All Programs and see if you have the Dell Quickset program. Follow the arrow to the word 'Quickset' and click on it and the 'Q' icon should appear on the taskbar.

If you don't have the Quickset program you can download it from the D430 downloads page. Make sure that the operating system dropdown box on that page says "XP", then expand the 'Applications' category.

i dont have any volume at all

But that is not caused by Dell Quickset so perhaps your audio is not working. You should be able to click on the audio icon on the taskbar and turn up the volume there (it looks like a speaker next to the clock in the lower right corner of the screen).

If raising the volume there all the way does not get your volume back (or if the icon is missing), open your Audio Properties by going to Start>Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices. Click on the "Audio" tab. It should look something like this -- except instead of "Realtek" it should say "Sigmatel " .

Click the "Volume" button under "Sound Playback" and make sure that the volumes are turned up and not muted. If "Sigmatel" does not appear in the dialog then use the dropdown boxes to see if you can select it. If Sigmatel is not there or if the controls are grayed out then there is a problem with the audio. In that case run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to make sure the hardware is still working. If the tests pass then you should re-install the audio driver.

also wifi works really well but when at the office today and i pluged the internet (blue) cord into the laptop i could not get on line......I

For that problem I suggest you post a question on the Networking/Internet/Wireless Board.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324.aspx

No Events found!