Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2013 17:00

Dell Latitude e5430 hard drive issue.

Stock on the laptop came windows 7, but because I got the laptop in July, I was eligible for the $14 windows 8 upgrade, and jumped at it. Well, I enjoyed it for a while, but the end result was me wanting to go back to windows 7. So I threw my restore disk in and went through the custom installation run-through (because I had already backed up my files to another disk) and was just going to format and re-partition the drive (I had it set up with two partitions, and was condensing it back down to one). Well I do all of that in the Windows 7 Setup and now its telling me that the partitions cannot have windows 7 installed on them - unsure why, I look around a few times on Google figure I would just try the windows 8 install disk and see what happens from there. When I pop that disk in, the hard drive no longer shows up in the list, nor does it in the windows 7 install disk. The BIOS still shows I have a 320 GB hard disk installed, and I tried changing the SATA configuration from RAID to AHCI and ATA and nothing made a difference. I have a warranty on the laptop, but I would really hate to have to send it to Dell to have them fix it unless they are going to replace the Hard Drive. Any ideas on solutions or what I should do at this point? 

January 26th, 2013 18:00

I fixed it, and was just about to post about it. Apparently, I had to take the HDD out of the laptop and put it into my desktop in order to 'properly' format the disk. I pulled up Disk Manager on my desktop, deleted all the partitions (and set it back to a basic format hard drive from dynamic) and threw it back in my laptop and the windows 7 setup recognized it just fine and is installing windows 7 as we speak. Thank you for the support though!

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

January 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi AnthonyAlbanese,

To isolate the issue run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button on the computer.

Let the diagnostics complete.

Below links would help you with operating system installation on the computer:

Windows 7: http://dell.to/ho6Eq2

Windows 8:

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!