Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2017 22:00

'Dell Latitude with Win10 suddenly not booting: "Media test failure, check cable"

Hi all, 

I've been hunting through discussions on this forum and can't seem to find a case of this that fits my computer's specs to provide a real solution. Please help!

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E6430 with an IntelCore i5 2.60GHz processor. She was working fine until yesterday when I got this message: 

"Intel Boot Agent v1 .3.81
(c) 1997 - 2011

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_"

So I tapdance all over the F2 key to get to BIOS on the next reboot. My NIC is enabled w/PXE. I try enabling the UEFI Network Stack and reboot. Same error. 

Next, I try switching the NIC to just "enabled." Now, the only message I get is one lonely line of text that reads, "No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine"

Fine, Dell. I see how it is. I switch my Boot List Option from Legacy to UEFI. When I click "Add Boot Option" a window pops up to inform me "File system not found!" I try a reboot anyways. Now I'm getting a message that says, "No bootable devices -- Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

Diagnostics is trying to tell me that there is no hard drive installed. Am I missing something here? Can anyone help me fix my little homie?

Thanks. x

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 29th, 2017 05:00

Unplug the system, remove or disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove the base cover and remove and reinstall the hard drive.

Power up and see if the drive is detected - if it is, reboot, press F12 and run an extended diagnostic on the drive.

If it's not detected or it fails the diagnostic,  the drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

No Events found!