Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2015 07:00

Dell Studio 1555 Laptop SHUTS DOWN

Dell Studio 1555 Laptop (X640SHUTS DOWN. OS = Windows 7 Pro. This happens at random within a few minutes to several hours after boot. The problem started to occur about mid September, 2015.

Windows updates have been done.  In MSConfig, all drivers have been updated.  Heat does NOT appear to .be   a problem.  The shutdown is not common to any software or operation.  Upon rebooting, a Windows message appears indication that Windows has not been properly shut down.  I choose "Start Windows Normally" and the computer boots okay, then ultimately again shuts down - not sleep - but like the power was completely turned off.  The battery is fully charged and does not appear to be a factor.  This occurs whether or not the power cord is plugged into the computer.  I attempted Dell Diagnostics, it is not effective.  DD installs the System Detect but does not proceed beyond that point - even after several hours.  Eventually another complete shutdown happens. 

I have run deep scans (Norton Security Suite) without finding any malware or viruses. I have also run Norton Power Eraser without it detecting anything. NSS load upon boot and checks every site and email.

I would appreciate any input toward resolution of this shutdown problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2015 08:00

Boot the system and run it in safe mode for a while.  If it doesn't shut down there, it's likely a driver problem.

If it does shut down while in safe mode, it's a hardware problem - most likely with a faulty system board.

9 Posts

May 8th, 2017 03:00

Here are various solutions from Dell Studio 1555 Manual to fix your issue:

• If your computer has more than one RAM, then remove one of them and start the computer again.
  • Update The BIOS Firmware Driver
  • CPU overheating issues can cause the computer to restart again and again. Remove dust gathering in the computer can solve this problem
  • CPU overheating issues can cause the computer to restart again and again. Remove dust gathering in the computer can solve this problem

No Events found!