Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

June 17th, 2013 17:00

Dell XPS 13 developer edition: Noise fan is driving me nuts

The noise fan sound level is incredibly high.

Maybe I'm just getting a little bit excited here and there's way to fix this (even if it means reducing performances). Because I don't really understand how DELL as brand could afford to make products with noise fan issues. So I have to guess you have a solution for me.

If not, well, I still have 6 days left to return the product.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

June 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi florent121,

Fans can become loud or have abnormal sounds due to:

• An out of date BIOS
  • Obstructions in the fan or vent area.
  • Physical Damage
  • Dust accumulation in the fan or vent area.
  • Usage while not on a flat surface or proper ventilation clearance
  • Using near a heat source or in a hot environment.

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

Step 1: Cleaning the Vents

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System
  • Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.
  • Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

Step 2: Update the BIOS:

Below mentioned link would help you in updating BIOS on the computer:

http://dell.to/16CTCBs

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 30% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Step 3: Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Restart the computer by holding the FN and the Power button simultaneously. Let the diagnostics complete.

Please post the results.

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 04:00

How did you solve this?

The bloody fan is on all the time when plugged in?

The product is brand new so don't come with dirty vents etc... solutions.

October 23rd, 2013 05:00

The fan is still always on but I ca hear it only when I do some CPU intensive tasks. 

If I remember correctly, I just installed a standard Ubuntu version (Xubuntu actually). The one from DELL is outdated and full of <ADMIN NOTE:. Substitute characters removed as per TOU>  Multimedia button, sleep mode, external screen, wifi, bluetooth work great.

No Events found!