Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2013 11:00

Dell XPS 14 L421x Charing & Shutdown problem.

Last year I bought this nice piece of hardware but for about two months my XPS shuts istself down when I move it from point a to point b. Another weird thing is that when the XPS is fully charged (100%) it wont start up. So i have to wait till the battery is down to 95% and then it can be booted. After moving it from point A to B it wont start up for about 2-3h. However if I plug my charger into the XPS I can move it freely and turn it turn it upside down without any problems.

I already did a BIOS battery check but all the test say that my system is healthy.

So my guess is, overheating cant be a problem because the battery doenst get very hot however a loose cable could be the problem or something else?

Thanks in advance.

1.5K Posts

June 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi 0ls0n,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

You may run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and tap 3-4 times to enter the Boot Menu.
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter.
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display.
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

You may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/14eVCPj.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

6 Posts

June 29th, 2013 04:00

So i checked the BIOS and it says: Advanced -> Battery Health -> This battery is temporarily disabled, please turn off the computer, reseat the AC adapter and try when the unit is back to operational temerature.

1.5K Posts

July 1st, 2013 16:00

Hi 0ls0n,

Thank you for the information. Please let me know if the system is overheating. You may run the diagnostics and update the BIOS as mentioned in the previous post.

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist further.

No Events found!