Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2011 12:00

Dell XPS 17 won't boot up

Dell XPS 17 won't boot up. I press the start button and the dell screen comes on with the blue bar. but freezes just over half way. the power supply light keeps flashin yellow. all the other lights come on green

16 Posts

December 20th, 2011 15:00

I have this exact same issue!  I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645 and starting today when I took my laptop out of hybernation (just like I do everyday when I get home from work) it just hangs at the black screen.  My blue bar is about 90% of the way across though.  If I hit F2 at this boot screen, get into the setup, and just hit ESC once into the menu, then it will boot all the way up.  Do I maybe have a faulty HD?  My laptop is 2 years old.

3.8K Posts

December 20th, 2011 23:00

Hi Laugerts/Sfherb,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you start by running a diagnostics on your hard drive. Press the F12 key at the Dell logo on startup, select Diagnostics and run an extended diagnostics on your computer. Post back with any error codes.

Thank you

Royan

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 12:00

Nothing happen's when i hit F2. The blue only goes to about 60%. If i hit Esc it comes up with some information and at the bottom of the screen askes me to hit F2 ror set up then it comes up with Entering SETUP but nothing happens

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 13:00

Royan, When I hit F12 it highlights the F12 Boot Option but nothing happens still a black screen with the blue bar about 60% and the power light flashing  yellow.

16 Posts

December 28th, 2011 14:00

Lougerts,

Did you end up solving your problem?  My computer seems to have fixed itself after a few restarts, and then all of a sudden it started acting up again.  And now it appears to be fixed?  I'm thinking I have a hardware issue that is on the verge of complete failure.  I also get the power light flashing yellow and it says it can't charge the battery.  I also got a message a couple times at startup that it can't recognize my battery.  I haven't gotten around to running a diagnostic yet but I will tomorrow morning.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2011 15:00

I think it might be my video card. I am sending it back to Dell as it is still under warrenty . I will post the result when i get it back from dell

16 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 17:00

Hi Royan,

I ran a diagnostic on my XPS 1645 laptop.  It failed the one test and this is what it said:

"Error Code 0146

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous errors"

Does this mean anything to you?  My laptop is still under warranty.  How should I proceed?

Thanks,

-Andrew

No Events found!