Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2012 14:00

Dell inspiron 5520 graphics card

Hi all,

Can any one help me how to switch from intel graphics card to AMD Radeon?

Thanks,

Osama

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 6th, 2012 02:00

Hi osama_abdelkader,

Dell Inspiron n5520 comes with multiple video cards. You will not be able to know which GPU is active using the ‘Catalyst Control Center’.  This feature has not been provided by AMD.

In Muxless hardware design, the switchable graphics will use appropriate video card to assigned application from the catalyst control center and process the graphics of the application and give the output through the Intel’s integrated video card so using any application on windows you will not be able to see the discrete video card.

Therefore, when you are using graphic intense programs, (Example: Playing games, video editing, photo editing) the discrete graphic card turns active.

However, during normal usage, if you are viewing applications like office, power point or word documents the integrated graphic card turns active. Displays are always exposed to the OS through integrated graphics due to this any application in windows will not able to see the AMD card is active.

I’d suggest you to check if you find the switchable graphics option on ‘Catalyst Control Center’. Please follow the steps mentioned below to select an application and assign the appropriate graphical processing unit.

1. Click the Start button and select Programs
  2. Click Catalyst Control Center
  3. Click Power and select Switchable Graphics
  4. Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU

If you are not finding the switchable graphics option you will have to uninstall the ‘catalyst control center’ & ‘Intel HD 4000’ from ‘Programs and Features’ under the control panel and reinstall it in a sequence given below to get back the switchable graphics option.

Download and install ‘Dell Intel HD Graphics 4000’ from our Dell support website using the link below.

http://dell.to/SojSvs

Then install ‘AMD RADEON HD 7670M’ from our Dell support website using the link below and check for resolution.

http://dell.to/RVGXiF

Please let me know if this helps

November 7th, 2012 23:00

Hi  DELL-Senthil S,

Games like"Need for speed carbon" , "PES  2013" don't work ,however i switched them to AMD Radeon HD 7670M from Catalyst control center how this happen if they are being processed by AMD Radeon GPU?

Thanks,

Osama

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi osama_abdelkader,

Since you have mentioned that need for speed game is not working properly do you get any error message when you play the game? when you play the need for speed game the AMD card will process the graphics and pass it on to the Intel card and then the game works. So any application in the operating system only see the AMD card and it’s quite normal in this system.

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi  DELL-Senthil S,

I don't get any error messages either in NFS carbon or PES2013 , i get black screen (Entering the game) and nothing is happen after that!! , do you have any solution for that ?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 14th, 2012 06:00

Hi osama_abdelkader,

Since you have mentioned that when you play the game screen goes black, this is may be the game issue, I would suggest you to reinstall the game. After reinstalling the game and still problem persists please contact the game manufacture.

December 4th, 2012 09:00

you should use the win xp or win 95 and admin priviliges from the properties of game (compatability)

hope i will work :)

1 Message

May 15th, 2013 11:00

hi there i also have a problem with my dell inspiron 5520 with the video card it doesnot upgrade and as i installed the amd catalyst there is no switchable graphics option plzz help me with ths!!!

3 Posts

September 28th, 2013 14:00

That's error due to graphic card driver, install latest graphic card driver and also update your game version, it will solve your problem for sure.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2013 14:00

Hello sir, can you tell me which graphic card in market is compatible for inspiron 5520 motherboad, and which will be better than 7670m in speed and memory.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2013 16:00

There is no graphic card in the system, nor can you add an upgraded one.  The AMD GPU is soldered to the mainboard - it's not upgradeable.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2013 04:00

You meant by "soldered" is, it's fixed and only that alone unit will be used till lifetime of laptop ? Can't we replace it by removing current ATI RADEON HD 7670m to another good performance GPU by removing it from socket of motherboard ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2013 08:00

The chip is a permanent part of the mainboard - it cannot be removed, nor can it be upgraded.  So yes - what you buy is what you keep for the life of the system.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 30th, 2013 12:00

Hi iron007,

As ejn63 has correctly said, the graphic cards are soldered on to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded or replaced.

Inspiron 5520 is shipps with:

• Integrated: Intel HD 3000 Graphics with 1 GB video memory for Sandy Bridge Processors.
  • Intel HD 4000 Graphics with 1 GB video memory for Ivy Bridge Processors.

Discrete:  AMD Radeon HD 7670M with 1 GB video memory.

Please reply for further questions.

No Events found!