Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2013 05:00

Dell studio 1558 laptop CD/ DVD drive problem. not able to read Windows OS original DVD

i am using dell studio 1558 laptop. i want to format my syytem, but the problem is with my optical drive. it's not able to read the OS cd of genuine windows 7 from dell. i have tried with another software installation cd's like quickheal anti virus cd, creative audio blast installation cd. and other normal media cd. but only windows OS cd is not working . when i insert cd it's coming back with out reading it.

i have run the dell diagnostics - Hardware + Software. it didn't shown any problems. i have run the microsoft Fixit for CD/dvd. after checking for some time it's shown below results.( i have pasted them in text format). my warranty has expired. please help me to format my system as it's showing some trojan virus is there. i have got genuine windows 7 OS cd with me.

Troubleshoot CD/DVD DrivesPublisher details

Issues found
Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA
Device)Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA
Device)
The drive is empty or the media format is not supportedNot fixed
Insert readable mediaSucceeded

Issues checked
Your CD/DVD class filter was not recognizedYour CD/DVD class filter was
not recognized
Your CD/DVD device may not be recognized when plugged into your computer.
This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are being used in the
registry.Checked
Your CD/DVD device is not recognizedYour CD/DVD device is not recognized
registry.Checked
Drive is disabled (PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA Device)Drive is disabled (PLDS
DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA Device)
The CD/DVD drive have been disabled in Device ManagerChecked
Drive is not assigned a drive letterDrive is not assigned a drive letter
The CD/DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letterChecked

Issues foundDetection details

6Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA
Device)Not fixed

The drive is empty or the media format is not supported
Insert readable mediaSucceeded

Insert a readable CD or DVD into the selected CD/DVD drive

Issues checkedDetection details

6Your CD/DVD class filter was not recognizedChecked

registry.
Remove upper and lower filters for CD/DVD devicesNot Run

Removing upper and lower filters in the registry will fix this
problem.

6Your CD/DVD device is not recognizedChecked

registry.
Remove upper and lower filters for CD/DVD devicesNot Run

Removing upper and lower filters in the registry will fix this
problem.

6Drive is disabled (PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA Device)Checked

The CD/DVD drive have been disabled in Device Manager
Enable the deviceNot Run

The device must be enabled before it can be used

6Drive is not assigned a drive letterChecked

The CD/DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter
Assign drive letterNot Run

Assign drive letters to all drives that do not have drive letter

Detection details

Collection information
Computer Name: HONEY
Windows Version:6.1
Architecture:amd64
Time:Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:00:53 PM

Publisher details

Troubleshoot CD/DVD Drives
This diagnostic identifies and resolves common problems that may prevent
you from reading and writing CDs/DVDs
Package Version:2.3.2.20120606
Publisher:Microsoft Corporation

September 29th, 2013 06:00

Hi tejorsm,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate that you’ve done a lot of troubleshooting to fix the issue.
The CD/ DVD drive is not reading any cd’s and please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

1. Please check if the CD/ DVD drive is detected in BIOS page.
2. If CD/DVD Drive still not detected, Load BIOS defaults.
3. Please click on the below link to delete the upper and lower filters.
http://dell.to/1eRj8cx

4. Once completing the steps please restart the computer and check if the CD/ DVD drive is detected and id reading all the cd’s.

Let us know if this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 29th, 2013 08:00

• The Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD is a DVD and not a CD.
  • The other CDs you mentioned should be CDs.

The CD/DVD drive has 2 lasers, 1 for reading CDs and another for reading DVDs; It is possible that CDs are working and DVDs are not. I would suggest trying a DVD in the system and using a lens cleaning CD/DVD. In some cases a spec of dust can block one of the lenses and its easy to fix. In other cases the laser has failed and the drive needs replaced. Before determining if the drive needs replaced I would suggest putting the Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD into another system to see if the other system can read it. This will determine if its the system or DVD that has the problem.

If either are bad you may follow Unofficial Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7: http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ and follow Step 1 to download a Windows 7 .iso from Digital River and use this to create a Windows 7 Installation USB. You may then carry out Step 2 and backup the Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation Key and Activation mechanism. This will give you the ability to reinstall Windows 7 by following the rest of the guide.

Note: The optional Step 7a securely wiping with DBAN mentioned in A Clean Install of Windows 7 is highly recommended on your system as you mentioned it is infected.

Also carry out Step 1 on another computer. Step 2 you will need to carry out on the same system but ensure that the stick is scanned on another computer before plugging it into your fresh clean install. You might also want to install Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebyte's Antimalware before carrying out Step 11b (product activation).

3 Posts

September 29th, 2013 09:00

Dear,

the procedure which you have said above the 3 rd and 4 th steps i have followed, but i ddin't understand the 1st and 2 nd . pls explain clearly about those 2 steps. after deleting lower files also it's not able to read the OS dvd. please help me with other solution.
Regards
Tejo

September 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi tejorsm,

Thank you for your response, the step 1 and 2, where you will have to check the status of CD/ DVD drive on BIOS page.
Please restart the computer and tap F2 to access the BIOS page, under option BOOT please check if the CD/DVD drive is appearing.
Also in order to load the BIOS defaults go to option EXIT and using the down arrow key select the option Load setup defaults and hit enter, save and exit the changes. Restart the computer and check If the CD/ DVD drive is working fine.

Let us know if this helps.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2013 00:00

Dear Friend,

i have tried with BIOS page default settings also, but no use. the OS DVD is coming out instantly after inserting. Please help me with this problem. my laptop is facing shutdown problem, it 's not working properly, i need to format it urgently, with out DVD slot working i cannot format my system. please help me.

Regards

Tejo

No Events found!