Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2013 17:00

Deskstop icons /Startup icons

Hi

I want your help in my desktop icons/startup icons,as none of the icons are shown in my desktop/startup.Therefore its very difficult for

me to navigate to any option,all the desktop/startup icons are shown as internet explorer icons and when i click to open,none of the

options open.

Could you kindly support me in this issue.

Thanks

Rajkumar

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

March 16th, 2013 20:00

Hi Rajkumar,

May I know the exact system model and the operating system installed on your computer. Since when you are facing this issue?

You may try the following steps. These steps will rebuild your Icon Cache Database.

• Click the Start button and click on “Computer” to open a Windows Explorer window.
  • Click on “Organize” from the Tool bar and choose “Folder and search options” to open the Folder Options window.
  • Click on the “View” tab.
  • Click on the selection for “Show hidden files, folders or drives” and then click on “OK”
  • Now navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local folder and then delete IconCache.db file
  • Restart your computer and check if the issue persists

If the above steps do not work, you may create a new user account:

• Click on Start -> Control Panel and under User Accounts and Family Safety click on ‘Add or remove user accounts’
  • Now click on ‘Create a new account’
  • Type in the name of the user and select the type of account as ‘Standard user’ or ‘Administrator’.
  • Click on ‘Create Account’.
  • Close all windows and restart the computer.

The steps mentioned above are for Windows 7 operating system. Let me know if you are using a different operating system.

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!