Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 26th, 2007 21:00

Docking station for xps 1530

I believe there is no real docking station per say for this model only those universal, almost like usb hub, type docks correct? Also I just ordered the 1530 with 1440x900 resolution, that means if I want to utilize that in a dock than I need to get one with that or higher compatibility correct? Lastly, my girlfriend just bought me a samsung 22" lcd monitor(it says in the manual it is compatible to 16**x10**, I noticed that some(most) docks say monitors up to 19" should we return it and get a smaller one? Thanks for any help...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2007 10:00

Your best bet in a port replicator would be this one, feature wise:

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=ACP60US

December 27th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for the help, im looking now if I can find it somewhere for a little less, maybe newegg or something. Thanks a lot for the help though.

23 Posts

December 29th, 2007 18:00

I have a M1330. You are correct there are no docking stations built specifically for the 1330; or the 1530. Since I tried several docking stations with my 1330 I'll save you the frustration I went through since none of them worked liked the port replicator built specifically for my Dell Inspiron 8600. So save your money.

My final solution is this and I"m very satisfied with the results:
  • HDMI to DVI connection to my 19" Sony SDM-HS95P monitor (monitor goes into sleep mode when 1330 is powered down)
  • Utilize one USB port to connect to a USB hub for:
    • 2 DVD/CD burners
    • 1 Scanner
    • 1 APC Battery Back up
    • Wireless keyboard and mouse
    • 1 laptop cooler (with separate power supply and 4 integrated USB ports)

All of the above only requires I disconnect 3 cables to go portable (i.e. power, HDMI and USB).

1 Message

January 12th, 2008 01:00

I have a new xps 1330 and feel a complete idot for not recognizing when ordering that there is not a true docking station available for this machine.  I bought two of the lame Kensington "Notebook Docking Station with Adjustable Stand" as offered when building the computer.

Re your comment that nothing worked but the solution you outline I am curious if you tried the Targus ACP60US suggested by the previous writer.  This looks like it might better meet my needs. 

23 Posts

January 12th, 2008 18:00

Yes I tried the Targus ACP60US and had nothing but problems. I believe they were Vista related. But as I said before the solution I outlined works perfectly. FYI, I have two powered Belkin 4-port USB hubs daisy-chained together and I'm only using one USB port on the M1330 (Left side).  The other connections are the HDMI to DVI going to my monitor and power for battery charge. It works for me!:smileywink:

January 12th, 2008 23:00

Using that solution can you close you notebook screen all the way closed, i havent tried but i know on my girlfriends xps m140, when you have a monitor hooked up to it and you close the screen it goes into sleep mode.

23 Posts

January 13th, 2008 03:00

Here's what you do to keep your computer from going into sleep mode (or other) and make it do nothing upon closing the lid:

Note: Directions are in Vista-View mode - not Windows-Classic mode
  • Control Panel
  • Additional Options
  • Hardware and Sound
  • Power Options
  • Choose What Closing The Lid Does *
  • When I close the lid (3rd option)
    • Select "Do nothing" for "Battery" and "Plugged-in" power modes

* This option is 3rd down in the upper left corner of the page

Message Edited by ajtrek on 01-12-2008 11:24 PM

3 Posts

January 25th, 2008 13:00

Since you've tried different docking solution, can you tell if they provide power to the laptop and charge battery?

Thanks.

Paul.

23 Posts

January 26th, 2008 00:00

The aftermarket docking stations for the Dell XPS M1330 and M1530 do not charge the battery or provide power.

Clarification:
In order for a notebook to be capable of accepting a "true" docking station that would charge the battery and provide power...said notebook must have a "replicator" port built into it's design. Given the "thin" form factor of the XPS M1330 and M1530 the inclusion of  a replicator port is not possible. To do so would increase the notebook's bulk thus defeating the purpose to offer lightweight. That's why these notebooks have a slot loading DVD burner to minimize bulk and weight. Truth be known the so-called docking stations that are designed for these notebooks do not really meet the specifications to be classified as a "docking" station. They are more akin to a multi-port USB stand on steroids incorporating a monitor-out (DVI or HDMI) and speaker connections. All functions are routed through these devices using an Expresscard slot or USB connection to the notebook.

Message Edited by ajtrek on 01-26-2008 09:31 AM

Message Edited by ajtrek on 01-26-2008 09:32 AM

3 Posts

January 26th, 2008 11:00

How your APC Battery Back up works? will it provide power to the laptop through USB port?

PaulB

3 Posts

January 26th, 2008 11:00

Thank you for the great explanation. I wish this explanation would be shown on Dell web site attached to XPS laptops section.
From that point your USB hub solution sounds great.

PaulB

23 Posts

January 26th, 2008 13:00

I'm using APC Powershute Personal Edition (PPE) program which came with my APC Backup-UPS XS 900 that I purchased from Staples. Have my XPS M1330 power pack plugged into the XS 900. The USB communications link (for the XS 900) is connected to the USB hub which is connected to the XPS  M1330. The PPE program monitors my XPS M1330 to the point of displaying how much RAM I have installed (3g) and the amount of space on my HD (when I run a manual system check of the XS 900). So, yea...it works!!:smileywink:

Message Edited by ajtrek on 01-26-2008 05:36 PM
No Events found!