Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2013 08:00

Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 for XPS 15 L521x

I have an L521X that currently has Windows 8 installed on it. Within the computer I have a 256GB mSATA SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like to uninstall the copy of Windows 8 from the HDD and Install Windows 7 on the SSD as the Primary Drive. I have run into a few snags though.

0. First, and this is only a major annoyance not a deal breaker, this machine won't boot from a USB. Not at all. It says the system simply can't do it. Does anyone else know about this? Is this standard on new machines? I have been using this methodology for years in loading OS's onto devices. It seems to be a major step back in functionality for PCs.

The things that I have tried so far. I have changed the BIOS Boot sequence from being secured to unsecured and enabled legacy boot options. Still I don't see any way to change the booting order to elevate the USB or CD over the HDD.

This actually becomes the major issue. I can't get the SSD to become recognized as a bootable disk. I have also updated the BIOS to the most recent version, A14, that Dell offers on their website.

Any suggestions from anyone that has encountered this issue. I've done quite a bit of looking around on here, but haven't seen anything that actually solves my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it!

943 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 14:00

Hi JOSH MC,

Though you have enabled Legacy Boot, please follow the steps given below and see if that helps you.

• Turn your computer on and press the F2 key to enter the system setup.
  • Click “Boot” under “Boot” –click “Boot Mode”- select “Legacy”
  • Click “Secure Boot Control” select “Disabled”
  • Once done with the above steps, press F10 to save and exit.

After following the above steps, Legacy mode will be activated and you can install Operating System with the help of a USB flash drive. Please follow the steps mentioned in the below article for installing Operating System.

http://dell.to/1aPlBiX

Please keep us posted on the results. 

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Here for Dell support videos.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 17:00

I have an L521X that currently has Windows 8 installed on it. Within the computer I have a 256GB mSATA SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like to uninstall the copy of Windows 8 from the HDD and Install Windows 7 on the SSD as the Primary Drive. I have run into a few snags though.

0. First, and this is only a major annoyance not a deal breaker, this machine won't boot from a USB. Not at all. It says the system simply can't do it. Does anyone else know about this? Is this standard on new machines? I have been using this methodology for years in loading OS's onto devices. It seems to be a major step back in functionality for PCs.

The things that I have tried so far. I have changed the BIOS Boot sequence from being secured to unsecured and enabled legacy boot options. Still I don't see any way to change the booting order to elevate the USB or CD over the HDD.

This actually becomes the major issue. I can't get the SSD to become recognized as a bootable disk. I have also updated the BIOS to the most recent version, A14, that Dell offers on their website.

Any suggestions from anyone that has encountered this issue. I've done quite a bit of looking around on here, but haven't seen anything that actually solves my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it!

The XPS L521x has USB 3.0 ports only. Windows 7 installation media does not have support for USB 3.0 and so will freeze the installation. You must disable the USB 3.0 functionality temporarily while you install Windows 7.

Also you should change the SATA operation of the hard drive set to AHCI as you are using the mSATA drive as a boot drive and not a cache drive. You may need to load SATA drivers during the Windows setup.

See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7 for more details:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

3 Posts

October 4th, 2013 14:00

So part of my problem was that I was attempting to use a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 thumb drive which isn't set up as a removable device, Rufus doesn't recognize it as a USB Key, and neither does the Windows 7 USB/DVD Downloader Tool. That is fixed with a USB 2.0 Thumbdrive.

How do I Disable the USB 3.0 functionality while I install Windows 7? Will that be a program that I should run prior to installing Windows 7 onto the clean drive?

The ReInstall Guide looks very thorough, I'll review it tonight before I begin.

Thanks again,

3 Posts

October 4th, 2013 14:00

Prateek,

Thanks very much for the link. I hadn't seen that yet and it seems to be fairly concise in what to do. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 4th, 2013 15:00

See "Disable USB 3.0 Functionality to Install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive" (page 472 of Windows Reinstallation Guide).

943 Posts

October 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Josh Mc,

Thanks for the reply.

Please let me know in case further helps is required.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Here for Dell support videos.

No Events found!