Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2016 10:00

E6400 Modem Port

I work for a small business which has a lcd display out front. To sign communicates through the telephone line with its own phone number. In an attempt to replace a Windows XP computer with a Windows 10 computer, I was hoping I could use a Dell E6400 we had. It has an rj-11 port and thus I figured it would work but I can't figure out if it should work. And if it should, how I get windows to recognize it's there.

I installed the software for the sign on the computer but it doesn't recognize that there is a modem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 12:00

The system would not have shipped with a modem unless a special order had been placed -- you may have to remove the base cover to check and see whether there is in fact a modem installed.  It sounds like there isn't, in which case you'll need to purchase one.

You can see its location

< >

here.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2016 12:00

Well what I find weird is I have two of these systems. (E6400) and one has a plate over where the rj11 port would be. 

Here. I attached a picture. 

[img]i.imgur.com/.../img]

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 6th, 2016 13:00

Don't confuse the RJ45 ethernet port for a modem port. There would be 2 RJ ports if it had a modem. From the specs--

Wired:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet network interface adaptor
56K v924 Internal Modem (Optional) 

4 Posts

June 6th, 2016 13:00

I don't know how you tell the difference. It has 2 pins and a phone emblem next to it. 

4 Posts

June 7th, 2016 07:00

Well I don't know much about old ports and how one identifies what they do. I  have two of the same computer,and one has the port and the other doesn't. Next to the port is a phone symbol. So what does that mean?

http://imgur.com/liCyLWG

No Events found!