Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2013 08:00

Factory restore problems with a Dell inspiron m5040

Can anyone here help me I have a Dell  inspiron m5040  notebook that I would like to put back to  the factory settings.

when I try to use  Dell data safe from Windows it will just restart Windows normally and when I press F8 before boot the repair my computer option is missing from the advanced boot options

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

olly

2 Posts

October 7th, 2013 09:00

I am now able to get the  repair my computer option in the advanced boot option menu  but when I click on this the notebook will just start Windows normally.

I do not have the Windows 7 CD  for this notebook as Dell don't provide  one. I can see the recovery partition  so it seems okay 

how do  repair the access to the recovery partition?

October 7th, 2013 09:00

Hi olly,

We regret the inconvenience caused, as you’re able to get to the Advanced boot options this might happen if the partition is corrupted where you cannot use the Repair your computer option. Please insert the Windows 7 OSCD and restart the computer and tap the F12 which will take you to the boot options page, select the CD / DVD drive option to initiate the operating system re-installation.

Please click on the below link which has steps to install the Windows 7 OS on your computer
http://bit.ly/4xqJJb

NOTE: Before performing a Factory reset or OS Re-Installation, please backup the data present on the computer

Please try these key combinations during startup and let us know your findings.

October 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi olly85,

Thank you for your message, as you’re able to get to the Repair your computer option we cannot repair the recovery partition.
We will have to initiate a clean re-install the Operating system in order to create a new recovery partition and use your computer.
Since you do not have the Windows 7 OSCD, please provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message so that we can see what best can be done. To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

Please provide us these details and let us know if this helps.

1 Message

January 8th, 2015 09:00

I have a dell inspiron M5040 and I want to restore it to factory and I do not have a disk, how can I do this?

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 07:00

I also need to reboot my 5040 but there is not Windows 7 OS backed up on my hard drive.

No 7 OS CD came with my laptop.

How can I reboot?

3 Posts

May 19th, 2015 08:00

Help. Having all kinds of problems with my M5040 and have backed up my data.

I ready to reload the Windows 7 OS but there is no OS on the drive. How do I reload the original 7 OS?

Thanks

3 Posts

May 19th, 2015 11:00

I am ready to reload the Windows 7 OS but there is no OS on the drive.

How do I reload the original 7 OS?

No Events found!