Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

1 Message

December 27th, 2003 05:00

Go Dell! Inspiron full recovery from coffee spill!

Just thought I'd pass along my Dell experience. While this isn't one of the miracle Dell tech support stories, it is a miracle!

I was sitting down at the local coffee shop this afternoon, getting ready to do some high speed downloading and MSCE studying... When I spilled. Straight on my Inspiron 2650! The last thing I remember seeing from the screen was a nice white color. The whole thing was white.

As quickly as possible I had the notebook upside down draining. While there wasn't a lot of liquid spilled, there was enough to cover a third of the screen and a good corner of the keyboard. Not a seconds after I had the notebook turned over did I then have the battery out (thank goodness I was only on battery power)!

Bummed that I had killed my notebook and further that my warranty wouldn't cover the damage, I proceeded on with my day. Finally, I was invited over to my girlfriends house for dinner, a movie, games and a laptop repair/ressurection attempt.

Suffice to say that my girlfriend's dad is one amazing computer ubergenious! We cracked into the case down to the processor. Discovered that there was no coffee on the processor, the GPU or even a trace near the motherboard! Somehow I avoided all the most critical components! I chalk this up to Dell's ability to liquid-proof (although likely not by design)their computers!

Understandibly there was some damage to the keyboard, since it took the brunt of the attack, so I'll have to replace that. Otherwise, it is working as well as before. I anticipate a shortened lifespan of the LCD and possibly other components because of this, but to have the PC up and running not 8 hours after an accident that should have had it listed in the obituaries is beyond me and deserves some appreciation to the company that built it!

Thanks Dell, you guys rock!

-Brock

3.2K Posts

December 28th, 2003 15:00

As far as the key board you can wash it and let it dry for a week or so and it will be good as new.

250 Posts

December 28th, 2003 20:00

From what i understand Accidental Spills like that is covered by the Complete Care service contract.

I never leave home without it!

Message Edited by mrdat on 12-28-2003 04:12 PM

114 Posts

December 29th, 2003 14:00

Ed,   I have to recover from a "Fanta-Spill"  (sweet soda).     The sugar is like glue on and under the keys.      How could I possibly "wash" it ??     With warm soap water ?    Or some solvent ?    With a soft brush ?      Have you ever done that yourself with success ?    The touchpad of my Latitude C840  is also out of use since...

Thanks for a practical advice....   

flortep  (not a housewife).

10 Posts

January 5th, 2004 00:00

@flortep wrote:

Ed,   I have to recover from a "Fanta-Spill"  (sweet soda).     The sugar is like glue on and under the keys.      How could I possibly "wash" it ??     With warm soap water ?    Or some solvent ?    With a soft brush ?      Have you ever done that yourself with success ?    The touchpad of my Latitude C840  is also out of use since...

Thanks for a practical advice....   

flortep  (not a housewife).

Remove the keyboard and rinse it under HOT water. Make sure to let it dry thoroughly and it should come back. I've done this several times with success!

114 Posts

January 5th, 2004 06:00

Thanks for the advice,    I'll try that out.

Have a nice and spillfree 2004,

flortep

1 Message

January 5th, 2004 23:00

I spilled coffee on my keyboard today...didn't realize and the the machine stayed on.  Flipped it over and took the door off the back and saw some coffe - am I screwed?
No Events found!