Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2015 13:00

HEEEEELLLLP!!! Old Latitude D410: possible to replace screen?

I have an old Latitude D410 laptop and I killed the screen. The LED screen is shot and all I get is a tiny upper left hand corner that works, the rest is white with some lines and blotches. The unit works, what I would like to know if there is a way to:

1. replace the screen somehow

OR

2. plug in something to use an external screen so I can access the picture file and remove everything so I can properly get rid of this.  

I don't want to just throw this out with all my information on it, the processor still works and the unit works fine except for the screen/ monitor.

Any help would be appreciated. Just for the record, I did try to remove the back to get at the hard drive but didn't really know what I was doing so I put it back together and walked away.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 7th, 2015 13:00

If you have a monitor to use and otherwise don't need the system, that's probably the easiest way.

If that doesn't work, you can always remove the drive and mount it in an external case (it's the older parallel ATA/EIDE type - not the now common SATA).

March 7th, 2015 19:00

I should probably add that I no longer have the D600; the hard drive finally died about 14 months after I replaced the screen. But I got $35 worth of good out of that replacement screen, at least, before I bought my current Inspiron.

March 7th, 2015 19:00

I would think it's possible to do, yes. I had an old remanufactured D600 that I dropped (!) and cracked the LED screen. I bought a replacement screen from... Newegg, I think it was... and found a Youtube video that showed exactly how to do it. I am not exactly tech-savvy, but it was really not difficult at all - basically, it was pop off the front cover, unplug existing screen, plug in new screen, pop cover back on and fasten it down. And that was it. I bothered to do that because I wanted to keep the laptop instead of ditching it, and I had already unplugged my large monitor from my desktop and plugged it straight into the laptop, and was satisfied at that point that the screen was the only thing nonfunctional.

I can't say for sure that the D410 is considerably differently configured than my D600, but it was not hard to replace the screen.

That said, if you're intending to get rid of your D410, it might be best to simply hook it up to an external monitor and get all your info off it before wiping the hard drive. Best of luck to you.

No Events found!