Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2011 03:00

Hard Drive replacement in Dell Insperon 1524

hard drive failure has resulted in me having to replace my hard drive in my Insperon 1524 which is not long outside warranty (Typical!).  I have purchased like for like with a view to changing the disk over inside so that I do not loose any data. However, the laptop can not see the HD let alone read it to boot up!  What have I done wrong?  Any tips would be appreciated so that I can rebuild my life!!

Thanks

Colin CT7ACG :emotion-9:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 16th, 2011 03:00

New hard drives arrive blank. You must install the operating system on the drive.  Start my making sure the system sees the drive (F2 to get into BIOS setup).

Once it does, then see:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/detectos?type=force&lx=179256&lv=339949&l7=362048

If you're going to try copying data off the original drive, you'll need to mount it in a 2.5" USB 2.0 case.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2011 04:00

Thanks for the response however the laptop is not seeing the HD in the Bios setup and therefore cannot see the data on the disk anyway.  I need to do something but I dont know what to make the laptop see the HD?

I have opened up the HD and replaced the disk itself with the original which is good as it was the arm that broke not the disk corrupted or anthing so its should be okay if only the laptop could see the HD!

Any thoughts please?

Colin CT7ACG

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 16th, 2011 06:00

If the original drive is seen, but the replacement is not, it sounds like the replacement is faulty.

No Events found!