Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 14th, 2017 14:00

How to change FN Key behavior to multimedia on Dell e7440

Right now, I have to press the FN key to use the multimedia settings, but is there a way to change the FN key behaviour ?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 14th, 2017 18:00

Correction: Apparently that was omitted from the E7440, even though it's on the E7450 and was on Dell models older than the E7440.  In that case, try going through the BIOS setup to see if there's an option to change the default Fn key behavior.  Some laptop models offer both mechanisms for switching, but there's practically always at least one or the other.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 14th, 2017 18:00

See that icon on the Esc key? It’s called Fn Lock. Press Fn+Esc.

November 15th, 2017 18:00

I do not seem to find it. Can you specify what is the path of the option in the BIOS menu ?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 15th, 2017 19:00

I’m not sure it’s there; that’s just where it WOULD be. Unfortunately I got rid of my E7440 a few months ago so I can’t check. But if there’s no Fn Lock key on the keyboard and no BIOS option where you can choose between “Function keys” and “Multimedia keys”, then it’s possible that it’s simply not comfortable on that model. A while back, an application called Dell QuickSet offered a way to set this within Windows, but that hasn’t been supported on models built over the last few years.

No Events found!