Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2015 10:00

How to change boot order, XPS 13 (9350)?

New XPS 13 in front of me. I want to clean install the OS on this machine. In my XPS 15, (L502X), the BIOS was laid out so that even I was able to figure things out, such as changing the boot order so I could boot off a thumb drive. But in the 13 I'm not finding it to be so intuitive. I'm sure it's me, but I'd rather not fuss around and screw things up, so I figured I'd come here to ask: what are the steps for changing the boot order on this machine? Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 26th, 2015 19:00

Settings, Update, Recovery. Or keep tapping F12 to access boot menu as soon as you reboot. Changes to the bios not necessary to boot to media. Not a good idea to clean install windows on a new computer. That procedure is old tech and not needed on new uefi models and can cause irreparable damage. Windows and everything else is a single image file not installed piecemeal like years ago. You will screw things up if you apply old procedures to a brand new OS.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2015 06:00

It won't, done properly -- but bear in mind that UEFI does store part of the boot code on the hard/SSD.  Also be sure BEFORE you start that you make a set of recovery media for your system using the Dell Backup and Recovery application that's installed on the hard drive.

52 Posts

December 27th, 2015 03:00

Thank you, Mary G.  I understand there it's no longer necessary to change the boot order to boot off a flash drive.  But I don't understand why doing a clean install of Windows 10 may cause irreparable damage.

10 Posts

August 5th, 2017 12:00

it wont cause irreparable damage, I've done it on my dell xps 13 9350 (2016 with iris 540), and I have a better laptop and overall experience now with a clean install of windows 10 home.

I used this method for my clean install of windows 10, here's the link to the YouTube video tutorial:

https://youtu.be/mtluuU5DZic

it is a tutorial video SPECIFCALLY for the 2015 & 2016 SkyLake series of Dell XPS 13 9350, and Dell XPS 15 9550 - this is for these pcs and systems specifically, so if you have either of these laptops this is the guide you want for your clean install. there is more info in the video about an online guide, and there is also ALL OF THE LINKS + FILES needed in the description of the video, this walkthrough is CAKE.

No Events found!