Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2011 03:00

How to double check the service tag of a dell machine

Hello Everyone,

I am in a legal situation with a long story and I do not waste you guys time in it. In short, we can get to the truth if there is a way to double check the service tag of a dell machine (Dell notebook Vostro D3550 Ci5 2410M).

I believe that the current machine is the same that it was before the particular incident but its service tag has been updated the other party says that his is not that machine. Is there any place on hardware where service tag of a machine is written which we can compare with the one in bios OR there is any other option that can reveal that the service tag has later been updated while previously it was different.

I will greatly appreciate your help. I can tell the entire story if someone needs to know in order to give me the answer.

Thanks,

Alex

5 Posts

December 10th, 2011 04:00

Thank you very much for the response. Actually the original machine did not had any sticker on it, while the new has the sticker mentioning the same service tag as mentioned in BIOs. But BIOs service tag number can be electronically erased also sticker can also be forged and replaced.

Service tag in BIOs can be update by Asset utility using below method:

www.ehow.com/how_6050222_change-service-tag-dell-laptop.html

Is service tag hard written somewhere like mother board like a chessas number. Which cannot be just removed like a sticker or cannot be forged.

Thanks,

Alex

Below is the Belac Image. Sorry I had to cut some info because of confidentiality. I will appreciate you people's coperation.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 10th, 2011 04:00

Hold F2 when powering up the system, enter the BIOs setup it will display the Service Tag. Other then that it is displayed on the sticker attached to the system.

147 Posts

December 10th, 2011 05:00

I forgot to add that on my Dell laptop when using the Belarc Advisor, the System Service Tag, Chassis Serial Number and the main circuit board Serial Number are all IDENTICAL and match the label stuck on the bottom of the PC for Service Tag.

147 Posts

December 10th, 2011 05:00

The Belarc Advisor lists the system service tag and the chassis serial number which may be of some help to you.  This program is free and of course lists a lot of other useful info.  Hope this helps.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2011 07:00

Travis,

This is a real useful information. Let me find Belarc Advisor and I will also update you guys about the findings. I am grateful to you for this great recommendation.

Thanks,

Alex

5 Posts

December 10th, 2011 08:00

Attaching readable image.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2011 08:00

Travis,

Belarc Advisor 7.2 has given me some strange results. It is not reflecting service tag anywhere also about "System Model" & "Main Circuit Board b" pane in right side it says "No details available". Can you further suggest me something on the issue or there is any other software that I should try.

Thanks,

Alex

4.4K Posts

December 10th, 2011 13:00

To get the system information, I prefer SIW - System Information for Windows.

They have a freeware version that I use.  

http://www.gtopala.com/

No Events found!