Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2012 05:00

How to switch from Intel HD Graphics card to Nvidia?

Hello evry1,

I have a XPS L501X laptop with Geforce GT 420M Graphics Card ,but in the display window ( do Win+r and then type dxdiag on the run console)

it is showing Intel(R) HD Graphics Card (Core i5). I tried selecting  High-performance NVIDIA processor in Global settings tab under manage 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel but the display window still didn't change the graphics card. Plz Help.......

174 Posts

December 15th, 2012 15:00

Hello evry1,

I have a XPS L501X laptop with Geforce GT 420M Graphics Card ,but in the display window ( do Win+r and then type dxdiag on the run console)

it is showing Intel(R) HD Graphics Card (Core i5). I tried selecting  High-performance NVIDIA processor in Global settings tab under manage 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel but the display window still didn't change the graphics card. Plz Help.......

APOORV -

Search for Nvidia Optimus.    There are many posts about your issue in Dell Community Forum.   You can start by learning about Optimus here:   http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dfh&docid=125975&doclang=en

If clicking on the link does not work, copy it and insert in your Browser Address Bar..

Potimus allows both graphics processors to be used.   The Nvidia only when high performance is needed.   For programs that do not indicate the Nvidia card is in use, you need to enter the program EXE file in the Nvidia Control Panel.   Another item is to click on View or Desktop in the Nvidia Control Panel.   Check all boxes.   Be sure to check the apply button at the bottom for any changes to the Nvidia Control Panel.   You will then have an icon in your Notification area of the Task Bar.   It will change color when the Nvidia graphics are in use.

No Events found!